A900+Audigy ZS2=not enough power!
Sep 9, 2006 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pheonix991

500+ Head-Fier
So, I have about $170(could go $200 if needed) to spend on an amp for my headphones because my audigy ZS2 doesn't have enough power to drive my A900's. I mean, even my Zen Xtra has more power..... Anyway, what fairly cheap amp would you guys reccomend? And how much would an m^3 run me? Because if I could, I'd love to build an amp.

Edit: Read post #17

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 17
buy a better soundcard. the a900s really don't benefit much from an amp. getting a better source would be the best way of improving the sound.

is the audigy an external soundcard for your laptop?

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
pheonix991, you've got the Master and Wav volumes maxed out?

No, because then it would be too loud. By not enough power, I mean the bass isn't there like it is on my mp3 player. So, how much would an m^3 run me?

Sep 11, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 17
Back in the day, I used to think the Audigy 2 ZS was a good card. After getting an EMU 0404, I came to the conclusion that the ZS was almost closer to the SB Live! than the EMU... I was honestly shocked by the improvement.

So yeah... get a better sound card.

Sep 13, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 17
Your source is fine and your headphones are very pratical. I have never used a Audigy 2 but I have tried the Live!(quadrophonic), Live!5.1 and and Audigy. At the time, I enjoyed gaming, subtle music listening, and internet browsing. They worked fine for regular usage which was great.

So, if you like your source, find a decent amplifier. Preferably one suited for home use.

I believe the Micro DAC has no power amplifier. If you go that route, you may need an amp to match.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybrid.e
Your source is fine and your headphones are very pratical. I have never used a Audigy 2 but I have tried the Live!(quadrophonic), Live!5.1 and and Audigy. At the time, I enjoyed gaming, subtle music listening, and internet browsing. They worked fine for regular usage which was great.

So, if you like your source, find a decent amplifier. Preferably one suited for home use.

I believe the Micro DAC has no power amplifier. If you go that route, you may need an amp to match.

So, no Micro DAC atm, I'll go with the M^3. I'll also ask again, how much do you guys think it will take to build an M^3? I mean, the sound is nice and clean, but, I just need more power!

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 17
I use it between my Onkyo SE 150 PCI and the ATH A900
lambda.gif

It improves the sound (not by much) it givesyou an additional volume control and it can serve two headphones in the same time..

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 17
They basically don't need an amplifier. That being said, I DO notice some improvement in sound using my computer's combo) comparing with the IPOD G3 line-out... Listening the IPOD to the amplifier gives the sound more authorithy and somehow increases quality.. Sorry I can't express this better. You won't notice a nigth/day difference though!
smily_headphones1.gif

Like I said, I use the onkyo SE150 soundcard which I can recomend as the best I ever heard . Unfortunately it doesn't have any headphone out, so it needs an adapter/amplifier to use with headphones...

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991
No, because then it would be too loud. By not enough power, I mean the bass isn't there like it is on my mp3 player. So, how much would an m^3 run me?

Have you checked the EQ settings on both your pc and mp3 player? Your soundcard should have more power than an mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back