A700 or HARX900/700?
Feb 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Metal425

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some new cans. These will be unamped and used for Drum N' Bass/Techno/Trance. I've heard good things from someone on another forum who has the A700's and listens to DnB with them and loves them. Any advice? I need some punch/rich/fast bass.

I listen to Noisia, Black Sun Empire, Limewax.. etc

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 16
I loved the RX900 for the genres you mentioned. Only surpassed by my Ultrasones for their fun sound, but the RX is no slouch (just lacks much of the resolution and crispness of sound). I've been trying to get a hold of some A700 just to see how different they are, and possibly how they may fair for gaming, compared to my Denon D1001.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 16
With my RX900s, I've never noticed any improvement with the addition of an amp. I did just tried out some Black Sun Empire and feel that, the RX900: A. Needs to be closer rather than further from your ear (so that excludes the ear pad mod) B. Needs a bit more and quicker bass. My Ultrasones sound much better with Drum N Bass. They go deep, are quick, and can be prominent when needed. I would look for some HFI-580 honestly.

The RX900 are great on slower genres, but the Drum N Bass I tried were just too fast for them. I'm not sure how the A700 would fair against them in that regard. Let me give my M50 a try, as I think those may be well suited cans.

M50/HFI580: Just tried out the M50 and HFI-580 and the M50 definitely have the same kind of slow bass that the RX900 have, though they go deeper, are a bit quicker and are more detailed (and also sound more realistic). I would personally look at some phones that are comparable to the HFI-580. Some people may chime in and say bassier Grado might work best. I can't really comment on that though, as I still haven't listen to any Grado. From what I've read (and feel free to research yourself), Grados will have a similar forward sound to them. I really don't have the first clue as to what model (mod) will give the Grado bass you are looking for, and whether it is a fast enough bass.

Shure SRH750DJ: I also just tried out my Shure SRH750DJ, and those do have a fairly fun bass quality to them as well. And don't seem to have to much trouble keeping up with the fast approach of music. I'm going to try out some more headphones though. Probably some Sennheiser HD485, Maudio Q40 and Ultrasone Pro900. I expect all of them to do something quite involving with the music, but who knows, it may really add to the music!

M-Audio Q40: The M-Audio Q40 definitely have an advantage, in that they are bass oriented phones. What I like is they are easily capable of playing some of the lowest bass I've heard on headphones, while still paying attention to the rest of the bass detail and representation, all while not completely drowning out mids and highs. The mids and highs are actually still fairly pleasing, but I would never say they are great compared to a number of other headphones (though in all fairness, I think they are better than many other "bass" headphones). What I like about the Q40, is that you can distinguish all of the low end, all the time. There seems to be a bit of low low bass lingering in some tracks, but you can still depict the rest of the higher frequency bass just fine, and with great detail and adequate speed.

PRO 900: I don't find some of the signatures of the PRO 900 to be conducive for Drum N' Bass, but I think this is part of my tastes. What I get from my PRO 900 is a very airy sound compared to other closed phones, seeming as if they are open back phones. I think where the PRO 900s shine is with their all around detail. The bass is definitely there, but the airy nature forces it to feel a bit more distant. I still think these headphones could use some modding, a bit more clamping force and earpads other than stock to give a bit more refined bass quality. The soundstage (artificial some will say, but fun none the less) and brilliant detail with a very "fun sharp" nature (It is tough to describe, but sharp is sometimes a shrill high, but in these phones it takes some adjusting and appreciation to really find their involving aspect). I really want to try some more modding with these phones and maybe a different amp, and see if that can give some more refinement in the bass, as I think the high-mids and highs are absolutely brilliant on these headphones!

Sennheiser HD485: With the Sennheiser HD485, I've had some fairly indifferent feelings about them all around. They have a very unique sound to them, particularly in where the sound seems to be coming from. Out of all the headphones I've had, I think these would take the longest to adjust to in order to benefit from their unique sound. Now this may just be from the open back design, but it so much different from my other headphones. The soundstage is like none I've heard, not in that its spectacular, but in that it seems to be again, unique. It sounds artificial to my ears, but I can't really say that's bad. I know some people really love these headphones, and I feel that comes in time with adjusting to their sound. They don't have quite the slam factor that some of the other headphones have, but they aren't exactly bass shy by any means. I would attribute this slam factor having to do again with the open back design and the ear padding material. I've always felt that pleather/leather/etc (non-velour/velvet) gives more impactful bass. I believe the PRO 900 could benefit from this, and the DT770 are kind of an oddball in that department, all though I really want to give some pleather/leather padding a try on them.

Small Note of DT770: One thing I should also mention, is that I think properly amped DT770 could really do what you want. Now, it has been a while since I've had my DT770 (and I'm actually waiting for some in the mail
biggrin.gif
). I think, seeing as my music tastes have changed since last having them, my view of them will need to get updated. I know I've ready many more times than just once, that the DT770 are awesome for Drum N Bass. What version of DT770 and what amp you use (and using one is a must to get what you need from them, for DnB), you may get what you are looking for.

I think that is about all the testing I can provide for you right now, also considering this has almost turned into a mini-review
tongue.gif
I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have however
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With my RX900s, I've never noticed any improvement with the addition of an amp. I did just tried out some Black Sun Empire and feel that, the RX900: A. Needs to be closer rather than further from your ear (so that excludes the ear pad mod) B. Needs a bit more and quicker bass. My Ultrasones sound much better with Drum N Bass. They go deep, are quick, and can be prominent when needed. I would look for some HFI-580 honestly.

The RX900 are great on slower genres, but the Drum N Bass I tried were just too fast for them. I'm not sure how the A700 would fair against them in that regard. Let me give my M50 a try, as I think those may be well suited cans.

Ok, please try the M50's with BSE and report back.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 16
Check my post from above, I'd rather keep it all in one neat area for anyone to read. Any other questions, feel free to ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 16
From my testing... and with my preference of sound... and what sounded best to me from the Drum N Bass I listened to, ABSOLUTELY!!! Now, there is are going to be differences between your and my preferences. I typically don't listen to Drum N Bass, unless it is much slower. I personally listen to Crystal Method, Sasha, Hybrid, Nine Inch Nails, Digweed... mostly with forms of atmospheric ambiance, and I do love the orchestral mix that Hybrid meshes into their music. I occasionally will listen to certain Rap and Hip-Hop, but I cannot ignore the fact that I changed genres over to Electronic music because of Rap and Hip-Hop instrumentals. In that, I listen to Rap and Hip-Hop for other reasons only known to me. I've basically grown up with it, and it tends to remind me of things that I've felt before, and may not be so much the music itself (that's really neither here nor there really).

I love an "In-your-face" sound, with crystal highs and tight, punchy yet present bass. I love the "rubbery" quality of the HFI-580/780. The bass characteristic reminds me of the sound a tire makes upon falling to the ground, or a lower pitched basketball rebound (that's where I get the "rubbery" term) The crystalized highs should not sound shrilling, and they don't sound shrilling when you know what to expect from the HFI-580/780 (780 tend to have more high frequency ability from my listening)

I typically listen to my music in a very dark room, with no distractions and in an extremely comfortable position (usually in bed). If not, I am listening on my computer, with music as a background; the pair of headphones I am listening to does not matter. If I listen to music, I get ready to listen. If not, then music is simply something to break the silence, and I could care less if Country was playing, as I would have no idea.

If you can say the same thing for most of what I have mentioned, I would definitely consider what I have said. However, even having been able to say "Yes, me too" to everything I mentioned, there may still be a difference in what you and I desire from the sound characteristics of a headphone, and what we ultimately enjoy in our listening experiences. If you can say "Yes, me too" and simply want me to go into more detail about what I like from my headphone experience, I would be more than happy to add to what I have said.

Ultimately, you will have to buy something. You may hate them or love them. The important thing is that you give them time to explain themselves to you. Make them your exclusive headphone, and see if you really do 'dig' the sound. Naturally mix in your other audio gear and let them become another tool for your sound use. If you are picking up those headphones all the time, you know your brain needs them
smily_headphones1.gif
We are here to help you decide on a pair to buy, you will have to decide if you like them (again, give them time to "tell there story") If you come out unhappy, welcome to the club! Not too many people get it right on the first try. And the sooner you learn that, the better off you will be
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 16
Thanks for the response! I'll have to test the Ultrasones I heard good things about them for DnB.

Someone else responded to a different thread and said Grado's might be what I'm looking for with some Flat Pads, any opinions on that?

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 16
Can't really say much regard the Grados. I'm a big believe in the sound changing with different pads. Though, I don't think it requires a belief, I just think they can go along way into bringing out different qualities in a headphones sound.

Ultimately you are going to have to buy a pair of headphones. Unless you absolutely fall in love with the Ultrasone sound (and inclined to never try another pair of headphones), I'm sure you will try Grados in the future, as well as some Beyerdynamic. Which ones you try first, is what you are deciding right now. The longer you take to decide, the longer you have to wait! So determine what's more important to you. I just know I'd rather be listening to headphones, than reading about them
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 16
Would just like to add that the RX700s are generally acknowledged to be faster than the RX900. They have the same drivers, but i suspect it's something about the acoustics and whatnot of the open vs closed design that contributes to it. I listen to a lot of DnB with the RX700 asnd they keep up perfectly. Of course, I don't have anything better to really compare with, but they certainly beat out the ATH-FC700 and the Senn PX200-II in bass speed. They also have a closer soundstage than the 900s.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would just like to add that the RX700s are generally acknowledged to be faster than the RX900. They have the same drivers, but i suspect it's something about the acoustics and whatnot of the open vs closed design that contributes to it. I listen to a lot of DnB with the RX700 asnd they keep up perfectly. Of course, I don't have anything better to really compare with, but they certainly beat out the ATH-FC700 and the Senn PX200-II in bass speed. They also have a closer soundstage than the 900s.

Is it an enjoyable experience? I'm looking for something to "wow" me, and since I'm a fairly new Audiophile, I won't think it will be hard.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 16
Right now, I'm kind of debating between the Ultrasone 580, and the Senn HD25-II, and maybe the Beyer DT770, and the RX700 for a cheap alternative.(Will likely get the RX700 and another one of the choices above.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back