a700 impressions from a noob
Feb 7, 2005 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

eight08

100+ Head-Fier
ordered from audiocubes.com last sunday morning (1am) - received on friday noon.

first impression-
looks- under my incandescent lighting at home, what seemed like a blue anodized looking color, wasnt at all blue and not that flat anodized look. it is very dark and shiny. flourescent lighting may bring out that blue color. i like the lightweight cloth covered straight cord, it's not as heavy as coiled cords and doesnt seem to interfere as much (getting caught on table edges, etc.)
immediately hooked it up to my ipod mini, played some "refrence" tracks (songs that i was familier with). it was immediately obvious that these cans were on a slightly different level than my v6, hd280, e2c and koss phones. unbelievable soundstage that i wasnt at all used to. and an overall clarity (bass, mids and highs) - that was seemingly superior to the rest of my collection (pyschological placebo effects included). one concern was that it sounded extremely bright, and just a tad harsh with my mp3s. fit was a little strange, with the wings and large ear pads.

50+hours burn in-
after burn in and spending a few hours straight with the cans on, comfort is incredible - but it does get hot ("sweaty ear" has never been a concern with either the v6 or hd280s with me). but the overall comfort level far outweighs the hot ear situation. sound has effectively "calmed down" - bass, mids and highs have neutralized - and that extreme brightness i heard earlier has definitely been tamed. bass is a tad fuller than my v6 (if not just a bit boomier). overall my v6 seems awfully compressed now... (i don't even want to listen to my hd280 now - not that i was ever impressed with them though). im just so enamoured by the incredible overall "richness" and spatial qualities. i still feel that these cans are on another level - but that may just be because of my other cans being more geared towards "studio monitors". they're just that much more musical to me.

notes:
-i only have crappy sources (ipod (mp3s ripped at 192 aac), home, sb live soundcard - direct to phones, sony dvd player > pioneer reciever > phones. work, santa cruz soundcard > creative t3000 (used for the volume control) > phones). my impressions were based solely on these sources (havent used them at work yet).

-i've never had any experience with higher quality phones (than whats available at most chain stores - phones i've previously owned) - so i may have a bit of "ghetto ear" > and not hear what you all hear.

anyway, thats my personal impressions. this is the most satisfied i have ever been with a headphone purchase... i don't feel that curiosity that i sometimes feel when i don't buy the higher end model (a900) like i usually do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back