A618 vs A818
Oct 18, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 17
I think the 800 series has a larger screen than the 600 series and comes with different headphones. Other than that, they're probably the same on the inside.

Edit: Oh yeah, the 600 series has FM radio where the 800 doesn't.

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by UW Howie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 800 series has a larger screen than the 600 series and comes with different headphones. Other than that, they're probably the same on the inside.

Edit: Oh yeah, the 600 series has FM radio where the 800 doesn't.

Why would the 800 be more then? Has anybody seen both firsthand? The 800 looks a bit ugly, while the 600 looks much more attractive.

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would the 800 be more then? Has anybody seen both firsthand? The 800 looks a bit ugly, while the 600 looks much more attractive.

Well the 800s come with MDR-EX082 Headphones. I've heard that they're the same as the

MDR-EX85

So maybe, that's why they cost $20 more than the 600 series.

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

818 has biggerscreen, and is much slimmer. Decent headphones. Thats why. I kind like the look of it, and the buttons better. The 618 seems better value though.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 17
I really prefer the button placement and feel of the 818, having used both. The back and option buttons on the 618 are really small and recessed, and the 818s volume rocker has a really nice feel to it. Also, the slimmer magnesium body is really nice. And I like having the phone jack on the bottom of the player.

I'm not sure why so many people think the S6XX is more attractive, but it does explain why Sony made 2 form factors.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfnoise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really prefer the button placement and feel of the 818, having used both. The back and option buttons on the 618 are really small and recessed, and the 818s volume rocker has a really nice feel to it. Also, the slimmer magnesium body is really nice. And I like having the phone jack on the bottom of the player.

I'm not sure why so many people think the S6XX is more attractive, but it does explain why Sony made 2 form factors.

The sound is pretty highly regarded on these Sony players? Is this the first time they finally hit the jackpot? I never heard anything about Sony players before.

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 17
Most people have avoided Sony players in the past because of the horrible Sonicstage software you needed to load music. Thankfully this is gone now.

I have been very impressed by the sound on the A818. It provides very detailed sound with a good soundstage and separation. The general feel of the sound is more neutral and transparent compared to the punchier, slightly more processed feel of my Cowon U2. This is good for some music while other tracks I have benefit more from the U2s feel.

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

The sound is pretty highly regarded on these Sony players? Is this the first time they finally hit the jackpot? I never heard anything about Sony players before.

They've always sounded decent. IMO

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Most people have avoided Sony players in the past because of the horrible Sonicstage software you needed to load music. Thankfully this is gone now.

I have been very impressed by the sound on the A818. It provides very detailed sound with a good soundstage and separation. The general feel of the sound is more neutral and transparent compared to the punchier, slightly more processed feel of my Cowon U2. This is good for some music while other tracks I have benefit more from the U2s feel.

oh hm...maybe a clix2 will be better for me then. I enjoy a warm sound signature instead of a neutral sound. I wish they would offer a 16 gb clix.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

oh hm...maybe a clix2 will be better for me then. I enjoy a warm sound signature instead of a neutral sound. I wish they would offer a 16 gb clix.

Souperman, before you buy, I know someone in our area with an A818 (at least I think it's an A818, looks just like it). I tried it and liked it, and it's so sleek, makes my I7 feel overweight and unwanted lol (then again my I7's battery lasts forever), but the sound sig wasn't for me.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

I have the S616, and have also been impressed with the sound so far. Detail and soundstage are good (with my Atrios, anyway). I did like the look of the A8xx a little better, but for $20 more and the loss of the FM, I wasn't willing to go that way.

Oct 20, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 17
Wait, wait. Someone said that Sonicstage wasn't involved anymore. It would probably be too good to be true but, does this mean that there's no need for proprietary software to load music anymore ? Drag and drop UMS finally ? I'm gonna guess no, but hoping someone says yes.

Awaiting disappointment:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back