A5's or MR5's or something else?
Dec 31, 2008 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Derek1984

New Head-Fier
So in a few months I am going to be buying a new Macbook Pro and a new iPod Touch. I am still having a tough time deciding what speakers that I want for both. On top of my list are the AudioEngine A5's. I've read great reviews on them so far and they seem to cater to Apple iPods since they have a place on top of the speaker for the iPod and they can be used in conjunction with Airport Express. The only problem I can think of with the A5's is that I don't have a place to listen to them before I purchase, however I am aware that they offer a "30 day trial period". Then next on my list are the Mackie MR5's. I've read great reviews on them as well. I'm not sure if they cater as much to the iPods like AudioEngines do but I've read their sound is great and I can probably take a listen to them at Guitar Center. I'm looking to spend as much as $400 on a pair of speakers. For what I am looking for, for my Macbook and iPod, what is my best choice in terms of sound quality between the two? Or maybe there are some other speakers in that price range someone else can reccomend? Thank you for your time!

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 7
I really don't think you can go wrong with either of those two. Haven't heard either, but I have been following speaker threads incessantly. They are both recommended highly and without particular bias for one or the other.

Just make sure you have room for proper placement of the A5 as they are rear ported and shouldn't be squeezed into a corner or against the wall.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies...Has anyone on here heard both of these speakers? If someone has heard both and could share what they thought, I would greatly appreciate that. Also, I forgot to say that these speakers will be strictly meant for music. I will be buying Logic Studio for my Macbook as well. I'm not planing on using these for games or dvd movies if that makes any difference. Thanks

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 7
I have the A5s and they sound excellent. Recently though, I've been wondering about the quality of their built in amplification- if I were you I'd find as much info as I could about it before I made the plunge.

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 7
I have both the A5's and MR5's.

Since Ike I have been too busy to take them and do a side by side comparision.

My initial impression is that the MR5's sound a little bit better.

However I really like the A5's top mounted player input and USB charging port.

Things are starting to get back to normal so I should be able to get some time to actually sit down and compare the two.

I have the A5's connected to a Velodyne VX10 and boy does that setup sound good...Crossover in the VX10 keeps anything under 80 going to the A5's...Rocking setup for sure.

The MR5's bi-amplification could account for my feeling they sound better.

Both sound very good.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the A5's and MR5's.

I have the A5's connected to a Velodyne VX10 and boy does that setup sound good...Crossover in the VX10 keeps anything under 80 going to the A5's...Rocking setup for sure.

Do you mean anything above 80 should be going to your A5's rather than under 80?

Mine is with DLS-3750, really rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back