A500 VS K271
Apr 18, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #17 of 27
I previously owned a pair of K271s and I'd like to confirm that many of these opinions regarding it are fairly accurate. These AKGs had the best mids I've ever experienced. If only it had some proper bass, I would have never moved away from it.

Does the A900 cure the A500's problem?. I'm thinking of moving to the A900s from DT770s. Looks like the A500 and DT770 have similar sound.

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin
1. They both have great sound, but :

1. The AKG's need an amplifier to the greatest.
2. The AKG's have a "/\" type of EQ.
3. The AKG's are more detailed and clear.
---------------------------------------------
1. The A500's are great with bass and boomyness
2. The A500's have recessed mids.
3. The A500's can make music sound a bit "exaggerated" and "fake".
4. The A500's make vocals sound nasally.

1. They both have great sound, but :

1. The AKG's need an amplifier to the greatest.
2. The AKG's have a "/\" type of EQ.
3. The AKG's are more detailed and clear. Rich bass is main factor. Without rich bass $3 phone is producing better sound.
---------------------------------------------
1. The A500's are great with bass and boomyness It produce best bass in it's price range.
2. The A500's have recessed mids. Yes, But you won't notice untill you buy same grade forward mids phone.
3. The A500's can make music sound a bit "exaggerated" and "fake". Wrong. It's clear and sounds 3D like.Every detail is clearly audible.
4. The A500's make vocals sound nasally. Still not reported by any A500 owners IMO.

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Does the A900 cure the A500's problem?. I'm thinking of moving to the A900s from DT770s.

I haven't heard the A500s, but I went back to my A900s after the DT770s, and I liked the 770s very much.

I think it would be worthwhile to read what manchau commented again. I'm basing these remarks on that fact that many say the A500s are 80+% of the A900s for half the price, but if the A500 is anywhere near as balanced as the A900s, the "recessed mids" and other comments are being exaggerated quite a bit to accentuate the differences between them and the K271s.

If the midrange being slightly less represented than in another phone doesn't make the mids completely swamped by the lows or highs, then it's not really a knock on the phone but just a different presentation. That doesn't make for a colorful "which headphone to get" thread, though, so we tend to overstate things around here.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 27
Alright, after reading the input, I have decided to settle with the A500's.

However, I have now learned I have the choice of either settling for the A500's or A900's. My main ultimate question is this : does the A900 do a better job in the mid's area, but still keeps a good bass? Also, do they keep that great 3-D detail the A500's have?

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I want to make a good selection on these phones. Thank you all for the advice you have offered again.

PS: http://www.audiocubes.com/brand/Audi...eadphones.html

Does it matter that these are the "Art" ones? Also, should I buy the pads, or do the super W1000 ones or whatever come with them? Thanks again..

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 27
A900 would be a step up from A500. Not a jump, but a nice step.
smily_headphones1.gif

Go for it.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
If the mids aren't great in the A500s, then yeah, the A900s would be a nice upgrade from them, cause the mids are very good in the A900s.

A500's also producing good mids. But it's slightly recessed and A900's are reported same. Both are recessed in mids. IMO they are almost similar. Don't be decieve by A500's price. It's damn bang of the buck.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #26 of 27
Not to quibble, but if you want to call the A900's mids "recessed", I think it's fairest to give a comparison- as in, the A900s have recessed mids compared to the Grado SR-225s.

To just say they have recessed mids might give the impression to someone who hasn't heard them that they're going to HAVE to EQ them to sound good, and that couldn't be farther from the truth.

They're actually one of the few phones I've owned that I enjoy with flat EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back