a500 size.
Mar 16, 2010 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Weesyboy

New Head-Fier
I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of audio technica ATH-a500s, they will be the first decent pair of headphones I've gotten and digging around this forum and other places on the internet i have heard very good things, my only problem is the size I'm just wondering how impractical they are going to be to lug around with me everywhere i go and to some extent how goofy i would look on the train listening to them.

I was just wondering if anyone who owns a pair or a pair in the same series (which i assume have the same dimensions) could give me some more info about them, size how they well they sit on your ears and head etc. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 14
I have the A700s.

They're the largest headphone I have by a fair margin (vs. my K601s). They do look a little silly on my head but my hat size is only 7 1/8.

In terms of portability I probably wouldn't recommend it, they're too bulky to transport and don't fold down.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 14
They're huge. Ginormous. If you look for images on the web, you should be able to find someone who has a pic of them on their head. I think there's one in the forum here somewhere too.

In addition, the wing system that it uses for the head band also make it look fairly fragile, so I couldn't recommend lugging them around. The caveat is that I've moved them around in a soft bag while being careful and never had a problem with anything breaking, but why tempt fate?

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 14
Yes, big, fragile and open backed. Many better options for portables that double and decent home cans. The Beyer dt770 pros would be a good non-foldable all arounder. They're pretty compact for full-sized phones and are pretty sound proof. They're durable and also comfy. Or the Ultrasone products are foldable. Maybe the hfi-580 or 680?

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlantinen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, big, fragile and open backed. Many better options for portables that double and decent home cans. The Beyer dt770 pros would be a good non-foldable all arounder. They're pretty compact for full-sized phones and are pretty sound proof. They're durable and also comfy. Or the Ultrasone products are foldable. Maybe the hfi-580 or 680?

Unless the Original Poster meant the AD500s, then I'm pretty sure the A500 headphones are closed.

As far as size, Here is a picture of the (most likely) similarly sized AD900s
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath...ml#post5619862

If I were you, I'd find something else to lug around with you everywhere.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah...I was assuming the poster was taking about A500's, which are the closed ones. Like I said, I haven't managed to actually break mine yet *knock on wood*, but they don't look like you want to carry them with you on the local mass transit or something, IMO.

That pic about sums it up size-wise with my A700s. Just give them slightly thicker and rounder cups.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 14
The earcups of the closed Audio-Technicas are slightly smaller than those of their closed headphones, but they definitely are deeper and thus stick out farther:

1334009412_3423c1f746.jpg

[size=xx-small]^ And no, that's not me. It's just a picture I found through Google Images.[/size]

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 14
Ooh, thanks a bunch Bengt77, It appears I was almost wrong in my post above.

Now the next logical step is to recommend an alternative. What are your budget, and music preferences?

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dorkvader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, thanks a bunch Bengt77, It appears I was almost wrong in my post above.

Unless that was sarcasm, what are you talking about?
confused.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all the help, I was fairly sure they were going to be to big, the thought about them breaking didn't even cross my mind but that would really suck if they did, as far as my budget goes it's pretty meager, really the less money the better but i would still like something decent, as far as entry level cans go.

The music I listen to varies quite a bit, mostly guitar based music from folk to indie to punk to a whole array of metal sub genres, I would have to say I listen to metal the most though, but especially for a entry level sorta pair I would prefer ones that are good at a variety of sounds.

They will also be used for mixing tracks as well as handling audio during my edits for uni but the majority of their use would music through either my Ipod or pc.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 14
Have you thought about portables? Either folding, clip, IEM, or earbuds? Some of those have fantastic sound quality too, but it depends on how you feel about them and their comfort.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 14
I have looked at audio technica ES7s, they seem to be pretty good and fold and what not, not really interested in earphones even though I've never really had a decent pair, I really want to get a pair of cans, aside from the ES7s I've also been looking at cheap sennheisers or something similar, any recommendations would be awesome.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #13 of 14
My A500 arrived today in mail. If you compare the size of the cup between the A500 and the RX900 which I own, the former is definitely bigger. A quick measuring of the cup gave me 5.5 cm in radius. Maybe that'll provide you some idea of the size.

Edit: On a side note, I'll be bringing these around as portables.
beerchug.gif
Not on the street, but in library and school. Somewhat a silent protest to all the SkullCandy I see around me.
dt880smile.png

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 14
Silent protest? Maybe. Subtle? Probably not so much. LOL

@ Weesyboy - If you check out threads about portables, you'll probably find some good info any suggestions depending on your exact price range. I can't really help much but refer to phones I've heard mentioned because my portables are Yuin earbuds and ESW9s. The latter are great headphones, but sound like they're out of your current price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back