A500 - First impressions
Oct 10, 2004 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

500+ Head-Fier
Well, my A500s came in from AudioCubes this past Thursday (ordered on Sunday), and I've been giving them a listen for the past few days.

What can I say but that you folks at Head-Fi have led me in the right direction again.
biggrin.gif

These are my first high-end headphones and most expensive purchase to date. I'm not really qualified to give a critical analysis of these things, but to my ears, they sound absolutely fantastic.

The most impressive thing that I've noticed is the incredible soundstage these cans have. I played some CounterStrike with them and I was blown away by how amazing they are in helping to pinpoint enemy positions.

Music, of course, sounds great (sources being my Rio Carbon and GameTheater XP external sound box). I really love the clarity of the phones, and I was pleasantly surprised by the tight, strong bass they possess. I actually had to EQ down my settings because the bass was too strong.

They're bigger than I expected; not really a problem, but they're bulky for transport. I really like how they just sit on your head; very, very comfortable.

The only negatives I've found so far are that they can cause sweaty ears (but that's something that happens on every closed cans I've used) and isolation isn't very good at all. I would've expected a closed design to block out more outside noise, but these don't.

All in all, I'm very happy with these things and can't wait to see what they sound like after I've been able to burn them in fully. My wallet's in pain but my ears are in bliss!

Oct 10, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Oh, you think your wallet's in pain NOW... just wait. I started with a $100 pair of cans, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back