A500 extremely sharp in treble?
Nov 30, 2004 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just begun to listen to my new ATH-A500s, and I've noticed that the
trebles are discordantly sharp. I've only gotten 5 hours burned into these cans.
Anyone know if they're always like this or if the burn-in will fix the problem?
3000smile.gif

Thanks so much everyone!

Cheers,
Venio

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't exactly remember what my a500's sounded like before burn-in. But right now listening to my very burned in a500's (1000+ hours), I'd say the treble is sharper than my 650's, but not considerably, not to the point that I'd say "discordantly". So I can't say for sure if it changes alot over burn-in, but through my ears the sharpness of the treble on burned-in a500's isnt that bad.

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 16
5 hours isn't nearly enough burn-in for any full-sized can IMO.

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 16
Oi, I'd let them run for a while, maybe 2 or 3 days straight, playing some music the whole while at normal listening volume.

Seems to me like new drivers would be a bit stiff and not wanting to move around as much as ones that've been broken in. Kinda like a new pair of boots or something...

Nov 30, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 16
yeah give em a few good days of burn in with volume just above regular listening volumes. I'm sure it'll change.

Nov 30, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 16
Those supposedly "discordant" highs that you are hearing are usually rolled off with most other headphones.

Your ears will adjust more than the headphones will with burn-in...and if you still don't like them, I'd recommend the much darker sennheizzzer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
I've just begun to listen to my new ATH-A500s, and I've noticed that the
trebles are discordantly sharp. I've only gotten 5 hours burned into these cans.
Anyone know if they're always like this or if the burn-in will fix the problem?
3000smile.gif

Thanks so much everyone!

Cheers,
Venio

Nov 30, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for the replies! Yea, I've never heard any headphones that were this
sharp even without a burn-in. Maybe I'm just a little bit sensitive to it.
biggrin.gif

Maybe I'll try messing around with the EQ or something.
tongue.gif

Cheers,
Venio

oh if this is your first headphone that can do that kind of trouble, then I'd definanetly say thats a huge factor in why you think they sound really sharp. Give it about 2 weeks with just the normal equalizer and you'll be saying your other headphones aren't sharp enough

Nov 30, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 16
I think they just need a bit of burn in. It's funny that I say that because I'm still not sure if I believe in burn-in. My A500's sounded good straight out of the box but my A900's sounded crap (harsh) for the first 5 hours.

Nov 30, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm not exactly an expert, but I do own the A500's. The treble doesn't seem harsh to me personally, in comparison to the mids they are a tiny bit too accentuatd (not at all too bad).

I find that when listening to a bad source they don't sound fantastic though. On a 128 MP3, there is sibalance (sp?) but when I play redbook's the harshness is gone, perhaps your source is the problem?

Burn in may very well help, it seems to me that the highs have also toned down a bit over time, though this may be due to me adapting to the fact that they reproduce the highs that my previous headphones didn't.

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

The A500s are portable!!!!

(Well, okay. I looked like an idiot while doing it. Dang it.
tongue.gif
Got more stares than I had expected...
biggrin.gif
)

Yeah, they are portable, but I don't think they're quite joggable. I dunno, when I wore my when walking they would move a bit, but on the school bus, if I wore them and we went over a bump, they would come off, it'd be funny...:wink: Anyway, have fun, the A500s are sweet...if only I could get mine back...lol, at least they're local
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back