A500 and AD700
Dec 2, 2005 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Hey. I'm considering buying one of these two sets of cans. I've done some searching trying to find a comparison between the two, but haven't had much luck. Anybody have any input for me?

I realize the A500 is closed, and the AD700 is open. You may be wondering why I'm comparing a 500 to a 700, but it is because of the price point ($115 or so).

Additional information you may want to know is that I listen to (for the most part) metal. So based on that, can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 7
opps head fi's network issue made me repost! lol

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 7
I was looking into these same heaphones a few weeks ago.. was heading towards the AD700 ..then read from a guy that the AD series didn't have the bass the AX00 series had..

but what I can tell you is the AD series has beter mids/high than the closed guys. and better soundstage.

Anyways I decided at the end to grab the MDR-XD400 instead... it is close to the a500s ....and I am enjoying them right now... sweet review coming up also... giving them 100 hours of burn in VS the HD485 100 hours too..

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't listen to metal much, what I remember I got :

Korn Greatest Hits?
I also got Metallica The Black Album

I prefer my MS2 (read: Grado) when listening to those though.

I think there are many types of metal, and I'm not sure whether they have the same characteristics (dominant music instruments) within that metal genre, that we can just conclude them all into one type of headphones that suits them...

But I assume lots of cymbals will be present in metal music?

So make sure you match your source properly. Can't imagine the horror of listening to continuous metal using a bright sounding setup.
eek.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 7
I have some AD700s on the way for mainly watching movies at home in conjunction with Dolby Headphone. I currently have some Senn HD-595s for watching movies, but wanted to see if I could get a little more junk in the trunk. Also adding a Maxi Moy w/ bass boost to the mix. I'm sure I'll have a chance to listen to some tunes with them as well. Keep you posted here or in a new thread.

Dec 3, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks, all, for the replies. JonnyV, please let me know what yu think of the AD700s. Do you own, or have you heard, the A500s? I'd really like a comparison between these two...

Can anybody else offer any input regarding these two sets of cans? Thanks.

Dec 3, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Yes I am interested in your impression of the AD700's too...

but jack, since I have the XD400 which sounds similar to the A500's, but not as good, I can say that the A500's should sound VERY good :p since my XD400 is amzing hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back