a500/a900 Pads don't last long.
Nov 19, 2004 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ry_goody

100+ Head-Fier
If you use your headphones alot, I would suggest against getting a500's because after 4 months of use, this is what happened to the pads:
http://www.iupload.net/102004/LeftPad2.jpg (copy + paste it)
That is with probably around 1000 hours of use, I used them about 6 hours everyday. The a900's do use the same exact pads.

With pads costing $50 + shipping from Japan, new pads cost half the price of the headphones themselves. For a900's (at $200) this price could be justifiable but for a500's I think its just ridiculous. I have also contacted both ATH-Japan and Audiocubes, both of them saying that any pad wear is not covered in warranty.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

*edit* this idea just hit me... what if we did a bulk group buy on a500/a900 pads from ath, they'd prolly be really cheap if we managed to get it at wholesale.

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 26
Yeah, that seems to be a running shortcoming with these phones. I was looking for used ones, and saw a few pairs where the earpads were just falling apart. This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but how is the material under the pleather? Makes me wonder if (when) they start falling apart how hard it would be to just strip the outer cover of the finish and just use the material inside. Not a desired solution, granted. But, I'm just speculating for the future. Only had my A500s 2 days.

Nov 20, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuzlL0dr
Yeah, that seems to be a running shortcoming with these phones. I was looking for used ones, and saw a few pairs where the earpads were just falling apart. This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but how is the material under the pleather? Makes me wonder if (when) they start falling apart how hard it would be to just strip the outer cover of the finish and just use the material inside. Not a desired solution, granted. But, I'm just speculating for the future. Only had my A500s 2 days.

The material underneath is actually nice, it is just fabric. But peeling off the pleather just doesn't work. I thought of that idea, but there is just no way of taking it off.

Nov 20, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 26
Actually.. no...

I've owned by A500 and A900 at the same time, the pads may look the same, but they are definitely not the same. I think the extra layer of pleather on A900 is indeed, an extra layer, not just a glued on faux leatherette as in A500's case. A900's pleather surface felt much more sturdy and thicker.

If you look on AudioCubes, the replacement pad is for A900, it does not mention if it can be used for A500, or there's any A500 replacement pads at all. Perhaps A900 pads will fit A500's.. this.. I don't really know.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 26
Jeez, thats bad to see. I am selling my 595's because I like my a500's that much, this is just a really big blow to them. How crappy, now I need to re-think selling my sennheisers, I know the velour won't fall off like this. =(

How often did you wear yours, everyday all day? Or just a portion of the day. When I received my a500's, I noted how bad the material looked, I thought it was quite cheap looking, now I know I was right.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 26
*shudder* .... those pics of your worn pads remind me of what happened to my Sony MDR-7506's. Though I think it happened after some years of very heavy use as opposed to some months.

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
If you look on AudioCubes, the replacement pad is for A900, it does not mention if it can be used for A500, or there's any A500 replacement pads at all. Perhaps A900 pads will fit A500's.. this.. I don't really know.

a900 pads do fit a500's, I'm sure of it... and it is very possible a900 pads could be better, I'll have to inspect them better next time I see a pair

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jink
How often did you wear yours, everyday all day? Or just a portion of the day. When I received my a500's, I noted how bad the material looked, I thought it was quite cheap looking, now I know I was right.

everyday, prolly around 6-8 hours

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 26
if there's a group buy on a1000 pad (best quality supposely? and it should fit a500 and a900 right?) I'm definitly interested. Anyone know if the thin film that covers the speaker is replaced with the pad also?

I am still too scared to taking the pad off, I tried pull it out gentlly and it won't move, I dont want break it =\ If some one can take a picture of the replacing pad so I can get an idea how it's connected to the headphone it would be nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Just an hour ago, I tripped on the wire and my a900 fall off the table, immidiately put it on and run foobar, no sound came out, sent a chill down my spine till i realize the plug came out of the sound card...

Nov 20, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ry_goody
a900 pads do fit a500's, I'm sure of it... and it is very possible a900 pads could be better, I'll have to inspect them better next time I see a pair

Just don't get your hopes too high. I've seen almost-like-new a1000 with worn out pads.

Nov 20, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ry_goody
everyday, prolly around 6-8 hours

....sigh .... Well, I just contacted audiocubes about returning them, I hope they are easy going about it. They shipped my a500's wrapped in paper, so the box was damaged.

I was hoping this was the magic pair of headphones I've been looking for: cheap, great sounding, and good build quality... I am smashed. I guess I'll search around here for a substitute pair of cans, I need something for work as my office is loud and annoying (that plus programming = no).

Nov 20, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jink
I guess I'll search around here for a substitute pair of cans, I need something for work as my office is loud and annoying (that plus programming = no).

Sorry for posting in a900 thread and maybe i should've pm'ed you, but if you like prefer good sound you might want to try k271s (to me they're distant cousin of 595), if you prefer isolation try hd25-1. I never tried and not able to try closed beyers but some mentioned 250-80 (?) as good sounding cans.

Nov 20, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #14 of 26
if u wanna talk abt the pleather coming off.... check out my A900
biggrin.gif

Pictures

Not my fault though, when i purchased it, it was already in this condition
frown.gif
im still waiting for my replacement pads to come... a1000 pads no better? or just as bad? anyone knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back