A5+ Setup Quirks
Jul 24, 2014 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Username15

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have recently bought new cables for my A5+'s and D1, and I have been using them for 2 days. I am using Wireworld Luna for speaker wire, Solstice for RCA, Starlight for USB, and an Audioquest NRG-1 as AC cable. I feel that the highs are very harsh, and that the background is quite noisy, and the lower end is very flat and lifeless. As of now it sounds worse than my stock cables. Are the cables too new, are they incompatible, or am I doing something else wrong?
P.S.-Does anybody know the specialties or characteristics of Wireworld cables?

Thank you.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 5
go back to your stock cables and replace each cable with ur new cable one at a time. Doing this will allow you to tell if the bad sound quality is due to that cable or not. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 5
I feel that the highs are very harsh, and that the background is quite noisy, and the lower end is very flat and lifeless.

That's your audio equipment, not the cables. If it is not too late, return the cables and save up for better speakers. Spending that much on cables for $400 speakers is a fool's errand. Someone sold you a bad bill of goods in getting you to make that upgrade. Cable upgrades of that type provide very miniscule if no audio improvement. Think of it as like putting $30 gourmet ketchup on a Wendy's cheeseburger. Even if the ketchup does taste a bit better, it's still a Wendy's cheeseburger; it's never going to taste like an Outback steak. Plus, in the audiophile speaker world, Audioengine speakers are considered sort of meh by many people. Certainly better than most computer multimedia speakers in their budget range, but nothing to get overly excited about. There are $200 budget passive speakers that (when amped) can compete with them, which is very entry level in the speaker world. So if you want great audio, you are going the wrong direction.

If you don't believe me, go ask the people here or here. And ask them for speaker recommendations.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Depends on what your budget is.

I would start, though, by going to your local guitar center and listening to their studio monitors. That way you can kind of get a feel for alternatives. Keep in mind that their setup is not necessarily optimized for best sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back