a2s versus bose musicmonitors
Dec 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elliottwilliams

Head-Fier
i know, the prices aren't near the same, but i'd just like to say that i've listened to both extensively and i can say i much prefer the bose. i'm no audiophile or anything, but the a2s sound like the muddiest speakers i've ever owned.

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 8
confused_face_2.gif
eek.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliottwilliams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i know, the prices aren't near the same, but i'd just like to say that i've listened to both extensively and i can say i much prefer the bose. i'm no audiophile or anything, but the a2s sound like the muddiest speakers i've ever owned.

Yeah - Wowo...
I didn't know someone else already posted about the A2 vs Bose MusicMonitors.

You are referring to the AudioEngine A2's right???
ummm
checkout a thread [in this forum] that I've contributed:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/bo...eakers-461444/

... ... well, I do know how and why you'd prefer the Bose MM... as they do have that signature Bose EQ-colouration curve. Like I said in the about thread, they do have good build quality and finally using rubber surrounds on the drivers and radiators. But IMHO, the colouration causes much listener fatigue. The bass is decent for its size... but there's absolutely no bass extension - especiallly at higher volumes!... then... then we have the highs:

sEriOSLy! --- listen to them carefully. I had the two speakers side by side for about 2weeks and also took the Bose MM on a 1week business trip [they are very portable tho] - the HIGHS ARE OVERLY COLOURIZED -increased - to give the "sparkling" effect that gives unsuspecting consumers that -"first listen/impression ---WOW" --- then this WOW factor dies off when music seems to HURT their ears after a while. The Highs are deafening on these Bose MM. I even tried to EQ the treble Down during my business trip [as I only had these speakers on me] --- and it just causes my music to sound muffled-so that won't work [for you cannot eq-fix a system with major eq'ing internally]. Anyways, they are NOT worth $559cad!!!-LOL!!! $559 -gEt ReAl! ... ... ... I returned these -within the Bose 30day trial-return policy [great policy!].

The AudioEngine A2's did have less SPARKLY sound. They definitely have a more flat freq response compared to the Bose MM's... so they may sound more laid back, less lustre. But I found them pleasant - and gave VERY VERY GOOD SOUND IMAGING -which the Bose lacked. + I can listen to the A2's for hours without getting that ringing in my ears.

Last note: also stated in the above post comparison: The A2's do have some distortion when turned up - when over 70% volume, they do distort: I feel this is a good thing: why?::: Because the A2's will TRY to produce what it is being fed whereas::: The bose doesn't because it's internal Eq'ing and DAC -cuts power, cuts Bass or whatever freq that will distort [even though the volume knob is at max]. SO THE BOSE IS SET TO GIVE UP!

Anyways, hope you are happy with your Bose MM's if you got them
beyersmile.png

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 8
yup yup. sorry bout that. when thinking back, i think i mis-spoke. the problem was that i listened to the audioengines in my converted barn room which is about 25x25 and has 20' ceilings, and the bose are in my girlfriend's apartment, which has a listening room around 12x12 with 10' ceilings and wood and carpet everywhere. even my usher s520's sucked in my barn.

i swear i must be drunk sometimes when i post.

Dec 29, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliottwilliams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup yup. sorry bout that. when thinking back, i think i mis-spoke. the problem was that i listened to the audioengines in my converted barn room which is about 25x25 and has 20' ceilings, and the bose are in my girlfriend's apartment, which has a listening room around 12x12 with 10' ceilings and wood and carpet everywhere. even my usher s520's sucked in my barn.

i swear i must be drunk sometimes when i post.

Oh good... got me worried there
wink_face.gif

The room- listening space does make a huge difference -Especially for these little speakers. Now that my A2's are burned in [I think -after few hundred hours]... They sound great! -but do distort at any volume above 65% but at those levels, they're loud nuff for me
smily_headphones1.gif
--- ALSO, I had to retrofit a heatsink on the back of the left speaker [where the Amp is] - to draw heat away. They do get really hot -at high volumes.

Very Happy with my purchase. -especially cuz they are less than 1/2 price of the Bose MM's.

___________L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back