A2DP - how does it work?
Jul 20, 2006 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shuy

100+ Head-Fier
wat i know is that it's bluetooth, n transmits a signal from the DAP to the headphones. but being bluetooth, it's digital data right? is it in the form of data unprocessed from the DAC of the DAP, and the headphones have a DAC+amp to convert everything (possible if u think how small ishuffle is), or is it just another thing altogether?

if it's not the former, y isn't one made that way? bluetooth is fast enough to xmit high quality bitrates imo, n a headphone w/ everything in it is waaay cool.

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 8
A2DP uses a lossy compression codec called SBC by default. But A2DP is just a transport for audio streams, and so receiver manufacturers can optionally support other codecs like MP3, AAC, and ATRAC. Most receivers don't support this (IIRC one of the iTech clips could do MP3) but all are required to support SBC.

If your DAP supports transmitting BT A2DP via built-in hardware (none seem to yet, but the magical 6G ipod is rumored to support this) then it's likely that they can convert and send the audio stream digitally. Virtually all of the add-on devices use an onboard ADC to sample the line-out or headphone audio from a player. Considering all of this loss, and the fact that you have more bulk to carry (transmitter, and most BT phones are clunky) and more batteries to charge (DAP + transmitter + receiver vs just the DAP alone) you'd be better off buying a smaller player.

Jul 21, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 8
so theoretically, a lossless digital signal e.g. FLAC can be xmitted via A2DP from e.g. the 6G ipod to a BT headphone w/ a gd onboard DAC, n thus have great sound (relatively)?

yeah, BT sets r clunky, but they come w/o wires. plus, the possibilities r endless. these phones can be used for the mobile as well. n in the future (ok its all hypothetical i admit) there r BT earbuds/clip-ons w/ longlasting battery life that connect to almost anything xmitting sound, e.g. car radio, hi-fi, computer, aeroplane entertainment devices, even tv sets.

Jul 22, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuy
so theoretically, a lossless digital signal e.g. FLAC can be xmitted via A2DP from e.g. the 6G ipod to a BT headphone w/ a gd onboard DAC, n thus have great sound (relatively)?

IF the ipod understood FLAC and the headphone had a codec for FLAC. And assuming that the next-gen ipod does have bluetooth and that it's tied in with the firmware and not just a decoder. Again, there are few headsets on the market that understand codecs besides SBC, and most of those only do MP3. For power saving and cost purposes, the headsets probably use PWM or sig-del DACs and low voltage amps so don't expect any love there.

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Does anybody have any experience as to how lossy SBC w/ A2DP is? I'm considering buying a bluetooth avrcp/a2dp device to use in conjunction with my westone um1s and my X51v ppc...

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 8
It's good from FLAC source files but not as full range (frequency response or dynamic range) as with cables. I've the Soundmatters Foxl with an A2DP feed from an iPhone 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back