A2 vs. HD5
Apr 5, 2006 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

redquilang

Head-Fier
I was going to originaly go for the A2 but i saw the low price of the hd5 that will go towards a k701 or something. ive also read that the hd5 plays gapless.

but what i really would like to know is the sound quality of the hd5. i used search and there really isnt enough info.

has anybody heard these? how do they sound compared to other players? it would be even better if someone compared the A2 and the hd5.

thanks
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 9
Tricky, that. Not many people have an HD5; fewer have an A2, even fewer have had both!

However, from personal experience I can say that the HD5 series is good on sound quality. I use E3c earbuds, and I'm impressed, particularly compared to the HD3 (which had a low-level hum). One drawback is that eq options with MP3 files are limited on the HD5 - Sony restricts them to ATRAC files. Not really an issue to my mind - I never use eq anyway.

One thing you will want to check/ make sure with the HD5 is that you get a receipt if buying new, or that the buttons are the slightly raised versions. On the first batch, the buttons were completely flat and tended to crack in the corners. I bought an HD5H, which bypassed the issue - all the buttons were the later version. Anyway, on balance, one vote for the HD5.

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Do you need video capabilities? If not, then go for the HD5.

Apr 5, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 9
The HD5 sounds excellent; very clean and detailed sound. It DOES play gapless, but note that the gapless playback is only useable if you rip into ATRAC, it won't work with mp3's or anything. Also, IIRC, the EQ on the HD5 can only be used with ATRAC files. One last thing is that you have to use Sonicstage with it, but this isn't a huge gripe as the latest version (3.4 IIRC) is actually pretty damn good, and certainly liveable with. I have no prior experience with the A2.

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 9
the hd5 does emit a low level hiss with low impedance phones.
sounds awesome though, i got one a couple of weeks back. gapless rules!

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 9
I've heard about that hiss, although I've never heard it myself in either the HD3 or HD5. I don't doubt its existence though, just it shouldn't be something to take heavily into consideration.

Apr 7, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Do you need video capabilities? If not, then go for the HD5.

well i look at the video capabilities as a very useful capability, so if the SQ is that much better than i will get it. so is the SQ that much better?

because ive heard at least one person say his A2 was better than all of the other mp3s hes had which included many of the more familiar names, but didnt include the hd5.

Apr 7, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 9
Download SonicStage and try it. I used it back when it was 2.3 - shocking. Admittedly, Sony have cleaned up their act. Just an aspect of the HD5 I want to bring to your attention, even if you value SQ more
smily_headphones1.gif

Re the buttons....Sony now use the 'new' buttons on all HD5's. Only the first lot will have a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back