A week with my STAX SR-404/SRM-313. Impressions + pics (1.5 mb)
Jun 19, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #31 of 64
You forgot "if I'm still alive"
icon10.gif

Anyway, about 404/313, I just remembered that I have just applied this "plug straight to wall oulet" method, but I haven't really try to figure the difference by listening to my familiar CDs. Maybe I should try it now or tomorrow and see how it goes.

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #32 of 64
I have all the new Stax phones and the 007t amp had the 006t and some Solid state stax older ones. The 404 and 303 are good headphones. I have the Omega's and 4070 Sen's HE 90 and HE 60. I still like the 404 and the 007t together, For the money its a great buy in headphones I think they get over looked. even the 303 I use them a lot to. Love the sound of the Stax. I have a pair of the Sigma's non pro. I keep thinking I would like to trun them in to the pro with the 404 drivers. I just hate to change the Headphone. What do must of you think about turning in the Sigma's to the pro version? Is it worth it? I know there are some of you on this site that know a lot about Stax. It makes it nice when help is needed. Carl
lambda.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Patu:

Maybe because the CDs that you tried didn't have the quality to allow Stax really show you what it's capable of? I think RHCP CDs in general aren't that well recorded, correct me if I'm wrong though. But then again, if you are enjoying it using your W5000, then I guess there is no reason why Stax can't make it enjoyable too.

Well of course. How could there be anything wrong in STAX setup. If the sound quality was bad it must've been the CDs.
wink.gif

I used DSOtM from Pink Floyd and Blood Sugar Sex Magic from RHCP. That RHCP record is indeed quite poorly recorded but DSOtM is very common recording to use for auditioning audio equipment. I know that record very well too.

When I went home I checked same tracks with my setup and I can only say that I like them much more at home.

Quote:

Unless:
As people have said, it's either the wrong setup or you just don't like Stax. Not everyone likes root beer float. (now that's an analogy you don't hear everyday
icon10.gif
)

Yeah maybe this setup just isn't for me. That CDP I used retails for 5600EUR and those IC's are quite high end also so I think the setup was fine.

Quote:

Anyway, although I like Stax for every kind of music you can think of (rap, techno, jazz, classic, world, etc), but I think the area that the Stax is more enjoyable is when you are listening to a nicely recorded music that involves many instruments playing together (therefore jazz, classical). The wide, spacious soundstage, and airiness are two of the most enjoyable aspects of Stax IMO.

I think every headphone out there shows its best with well recorded music.

Jun 19, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #34 of 64
What I mean was if you have a selection of well recorded pop, rap, other selections..., and a big classical piece in that selection as well, I think the Stax is most enjoyable when you're using it for listening to that classical.
Of course every headphones shows its best with nicely recorded music. duh! I was just saying that classical stands out from the rest.

I never heard that expensive CDP before, but I hope you were not emphasising that pricey equipments can't go wrong as long as they are expensive?

I am not saying that that particular high end CDP you tried was dodgy, what I am saying is, maybe there was a chance that the Stax happened not to like that combo very much (or at least to your ears).

PS: I have the DSoTM, and to me personally, there are many other records in my collection that are more enjoyable (audio-quality wise) compared to DSoTM. But as I said, since you are able to enjoy it using your W5000 at home, that's why I said it's either a bad match of the rig (which I hope you believe that it can possibly happen even if they consist of pricey gears) or you don't like Stax at all. I hope you don't take me as a Stax fanboy.

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #35 of 64
I think it's quite hard to get this exact CD, it's a bit old:

Handel-Messiah Musica Sacra
BMG/RCA Redseal
09026-63317-2
2002370554.jpg

But if you happen to still be able to get one from internet or somewhere, try track one, on 1:25 down the track.
That's the Stax flavour that I'm talking about. Even from my cheap-@ss source it sounds great, nothing cold, sterile, etc. It actually "gives life" (or soul) to the music. If you still say it sounds lifeless, I don't know what isn't... and maybe I should retire my ears by then...
or actually by then you defenitely DO NOT like Stax...

PS: I am not a fanboy - just reminding you again since on your last post I got this impression on you that you thought I was a fanboy
icon10.gif

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

What I mean was if you have a selection of well recorded pop, rap, other selections..., and a big classical piece in that selection as well, I think the Stax is most enjoyable when you're using it for listening to that classical.
Of course every headphones shows its best with nicely recorded music. duh! I was just saying that classical stands out from the rest.

I always audition equipment with music that's familiar to me. I really don't care if some headphone does well with classical music because I don't listen to it. At leat not that much. I've tried STAX with some classical tracks and I know that's their strongest area.

Quote:

I hope you don't take me as a Stax fanboy.

It's getting hard not to...

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I always audition equipment with music that's familiar to me. I really don't care if some headphone does well with classical music because I don't listen to it. At leat not that much. I've tried STAX with some classical tracks and I know that's their strongest area.

It's getting hard not to...

Yeah, if your main taste are RHCP, DSOFTM, SUV, KFC, or some other things, it doesn't really matter to me, I was just saying that Stax sounds especially better for good classical piece, mmkay?
If you are not happy with how it goes with your music or your taste, that's really okay, I am not forcing my ideas to other people, I only mentioned what I hear and like - just like what you like and dislike. I bet you also don't like rootbeer float.

PS: Mind you I am really not a Stax fanboy.

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #38 of 64
I still think this setup is fantastic for high energy/fast paced music. I just sat in the old listening chair and listening to Lateralus, AEnema, Salival and 10000 Days continuous. Didn't experience any fatigue that I would have got with the Grados. And the impact I was getting was very near to the Grados.

The most rewarding part was that it wasn't plagued with the extremely annoying bass hump thats present in nearly every audiophile headphone.

Also I've come to realize that these are pretty position sensitive. For my tastes I prefer wearing them so the headband is pointed towards the back of my head making the earcups lie a bit more forward pointing, instead of straight. I think Jan Meier's site describes this position a bit more.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

Yeah, if your main taste are RHCP, DSOFTM, SUV, KFC, or some other things, it doesn't really matter to me, I was just saying that Stax sounds especially better for good classical piece, mmkay?
If you are not happy with how it goes with your music or your taste, that's really okay, I am not forcing my ideas to other people, I only mentioned what I hear and like - just like what you like and dislike. I bet you also don't like rootbeer float.

PS: Mind you I am really not a Stax fanboy.

You can check my last.fm link from my sig if you want to know what I listen to.

I wouldn't know about the rootbeer float.

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #40 of 64
Patu:
I have to admit I am a rootbeer float fanboy though.

Back to the topic, I just tried the CD that I am very familiar with (I've been listening to different sort of rarely-listened-to CDs lately ever since I've plugged the amp to the wall).

Since I've read several times already of the benefits of plugging the amp straight to the wall, I'm not sure if it's a placebo or not, but to me, based from a quick listen just now, what I found were:

The instruments sound more "sparkly", the presence of each instrument is more noticeable as well - you can hear clearer, the different instruments "working" during the music, and overall, making it more energetic? (especially if you are listening to fast paced, lively stuff like latin music)

But this might be all in my head though... maybe a placebo, maybe not... who knows... but that's what my ears heard just now... Is it consistent to changes that you guys mentioned ? (I forgot what the changes mentioned by other members)

If those are exactly what you've been hearing, then at least I know that I am not the only one suffering from severe placebo??
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

PS: Although different, but it's not like I am hearing a totally different setup, but it's more enhanced - Just to prevent misconception here.
The change is like when you add a little bit "unsharp mask" in Photoshop; it makes it better, but it doesn't totally change it to something totally much better... no?

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Patu:
Since I've read several times already of the benefits of plugging the amp straight to the wall, I'm not sure if it's a placebo or not, but to me, based from a quick listen just now, what I found were:

The instruments sound more "sparkly", the presence of each instrument is more noticeable as well - you can hear clearer, the different instruments "working" during the music, and overall, making it more energetic? (especially if you are listening to fast paced, lively stuff like latin music)

But this might be all in my head though... maybe a placebo, maybe not... who knows... but that's what my ears heard just now... Is it consistent to changes that you guys mentioned ? (I forgot what the changes mentioned by other members)

If those are exactly what you've been hearing, then at least I know that I am not the only one suffering from severe placebo??
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

PS: Although different, but it's not like I am hearing a totally different setup, but it's more enhanced - Just to prevent misconception here.
The change is like when you add a little bit "unsharp mask" in Photoshop; it makes it better, but it doesn't totally change it to something totally much better... no?

It's the slight current limiting of the "common bus" design of most surge suppressors - they use, internally, (modest size) metal bars to connect the plugs together. Add in the extra resistance of the plug itself, the extra wiring, the shared input to multiple outputs with other devices, and the MOV's...and you get "strangled" sound

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
It's the slight current limiting of the "common bus" design of most surge suppressors - they use, internally, (modest size) metal bars to connect the plugs together. Add in the extra resistance of the plug itself, the extra wiring, the shared input to multiple outputs with other devices, and the MOV's...and you get "strangled" sound

Does this apply to Belkin Surge protectors as well? Maybe yes eh? They're not even designed for audio purpose in mind (mine is the regular Home series one).

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake

Guerilla Audio has a PDF file that talks a bit more about surge protectors and even power conditioning:
http://guerrillaaudio.com/store/guide.html

I read it a while back but if I remember correctly he says that even modern audiophile power conditioners aren't recommended since they supress surges, and kill dynamics in music.

I can't verify this as I don't have power conditioning, and I haven't bothered trying the STAX amp out of the APC surge bar shared with my computer.

But I do know what I'm hearing with the STAX amp plugged directly into the wall is that there is pure blackness between notes

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlflow
I have all the new Stax phones and the 007t amp had the 006t and some Solid state stax older ones. The 404 and 303 are good headphones. I have the Omega's and 4070 Sen's HE 90 and HE 60. I still like the 404 and the 007t together, For the money its a great buy in headphones I think they get over looked. even the 303 I use them a lot to. Love the sound of the Stax. I have a pair of the Sigma's non pro. I keep thinking I would like to trun them in to the pro with the 404 drivers. I just hate to change the Headphone. What do must of you think about turning in the Sigma's to the pro version? Is it worth it? I know there are some of you on this site that know a lot about Stax. It makes it nice when help is needed. Carl
lambda.gif

I have done a Sigma/404 conversion recently and quite like the results.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177715

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177715

I would nevertheless be reluctant to cannibalize an original low bias Sigma, if you like their sound already, because you would probably want them for occasional use. My set was seriously broken when I did the mods and I almost immediatley located another low bias Sigma on Audiogon.

Jun 20, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlflow
lambda.gif

If you have both the 303 and the 404, then you aren't really losing much to plop the 303's driver into the Sigma. The only differences between the 303 and 404 is the bandwidth of the cable and the colour of the housing.

Note the the Stax pro bias isn't out-and-out better than the original bias. More a different flavour on the music. A bit more dynamic, a bit less mellow.

Your headphone collection never cease to amaze me, Carl. You aught to get a Koss ESP-950 to complete the collection.
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back