A WARNING to those buying a Zune for their kids
Dec 20, 2006 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/20/w...ith-more-****/
(replace the last **** with p.o.r.n. (no periods). the head-fi filter strikes!

basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

/nice how wally world managed to blame microsoft for selling an open unit as new. jerks.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 27
Haha, that's hilarious!

"Welcome to the social" indeed
blink.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 27
The Zune doesn't come with a charger, so it's not 100% certain that the box was opened. One possibility not mentioned is that the Zune software picked up the girl's dad's "collection" of pictures when it scanned the hard drive for media after the initial install.

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zune doesn't come with a charger, so it's not 100% certain that the box was opened. One possibility not mentioned is that the Zune software picked up the girl's dad's "collection" of pictures when it scanned the hard drive for media after the initial install.

I never thought of that ... a lot of software will just scan the harddrive for whatever it can find that's supported so it could have done that.

Guess this shows that people should only really pass on technology to their children when they know what it does.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 27
hahaha....awesome....

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 27
What is likely the case is that the Zune that was purchased was actually a returned item that Walmart turned around and sold as new. The previous owner could have put whatever s/he wanted on it and Walmart returns would never have bothered to check what was on the HD.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 27
And thus, the microsoft zune has won the dap wars.

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 27
A DAP loaded with, uh, adult content (can't say **** here) is only okay if the buyer or recipient of the device is an adult, and the preloaded content matches their taste
tongue.gif

I bet the parents sure had some explaining to do about that preloaded content though
eek.gif

But all kidding aside, due to the risk of that stuff happening, retailers definitely need to be more careful about what they repackage and resell, and they need to clearly mark such items as being previously opened. For DAPs and storage devices like memory cards and USB thumb drives, they really should just find a way to format them before resale, otherwise they're going to end up with more incidents like this. I would be a bit shocked and appalled if I purchased a DAP and found adult material on it. I want to choose my own to put on there and not be subjected to someone else's tastes or lack thereof.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talk about preloaded with apps.

oh, you said APPS not ABS. i gotcha.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 27
Worried about what your kids might see on the internet?

By them a new Microsoft Zune, and skip the middleman!

Hooray Zune!
600smile.gif

And they say Bill Gates doesn't have a sense of humor...

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd bet there's a nearly 80% chance of this. The Zune can be a bit over-zealous in its search for media the first time it connects to your machine... I found my entire photos folder uploaded before I had the chance to tell it not to.

Lucky for me, my photos folder contains only pictures of vacations and friends acting like idiots. Clothed idiots.

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 27
Haha, ignored the engadget article earlier on. But they always add something funny
biggrin.gif
Welcome to the social indeed.

So parents, format your children's DAPs before use. Trust Fox/North American news to show the actual device with the actual **** actually being displayed in what appear to be the mother's hands. Have they no scruples? But those orange nails, yikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back