A warning to Darth Beyer owners or other bass heads
Sep 21, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
yeah well overly strong bass can be worse from a subwoofer. there were articles here where people died from pneumothorax or something. the vibrations caused someones lungs to collapse. similar things were supposedly happening in clubs and concerts.

Key word..."supposedly".

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #17 of 24
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you were listening to simulated industrial noise at 100db or more at 5-10 hz. As far as I know there is NO real musical intrument that produces anything below 18hz (and if memory serves that is the big pipe, on one organ, somewhere in the world).
There is a BIG difference between music and industrial noise. Of course if you listen to industrial/electronic music at extreme volumes all bets are off. Those frequencies are easy enough to generate electronically. My advice, if you feel any of the symptoms of excessive volume (at any frequency) turn it down (or put in ear plugs, or leave the room). I went to a concert with my daughter recently, I brought my ear plugs but didn't feel like I needed them, until they blew off some kind of pyrotechnic devices during the last few minutes of the show. In an enclosed auditorium - stupid bastards. Hands over the ears helped, but by then it was too late, it still took my ears awhile to recover. I recon they took a year off my hearing in 5 minutes...

Edit, I'm no expert, but as far as I know there is nothing in the CD standard that prevents frequencies below 20hz.

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 24
Hi jimbobuk,

Thanks for the info., Is it possible for your friend to kindly quote the source of the article as well? [size=xx-small]It's just the scientist in me that's curious.[/size] There are some physiological response that's understandable, but when reading a 'summary' like this, sometimes make me wonder what 'source' they did there summary on.

Thank you,

Overlunge

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #19 of 24
Sep 21, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 24
Just found this organ being built in Philly that'll go to 14Hz.
600smile.gif

http://www.andante.com/article/artic...=&lstKeywords=

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #21 of 24
so a "Bass High" isn't an oxymoron after all.

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
Edit, I'm no expert, but as far as I know there is nothing in the CD standard that prevents frequencies below 20hz.

Correct. 44.1/16bit PCM basically works all the way down to DC (0 Hz).

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #23 of 24
The 20hz limit is for vinyl... and the 5hz that Beyerdynamic quotes for dt770 is at something like -50db, and as anything below 20hz is FELT rather than heard, 100-135db would be as Buster Sword said, like an earthquake. Safe to say, this is very different from the bass any headphone produces.
I would think that article was written for the worker's unions, as a scientific test to see whether industrial workplace noise is detrimental to workers. It really doesn't apply to headphones in any way.

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
From what I've read about the famed "brown note", it's not true. I think even Mythbusters (that television show) did a piece on it, and proved it wrong.

Yeah, Adam surrounded himself in some pretty powerful speakers with no ill effects.. but I still love that South Park episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back