A warning for fellow Opera users
Nov 8, 2009 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
I know there are a few of you out there, so I figured I'd post this. My Opera 10 updated itself to 10.01 yesterday morning. I have had more crashes in the past 36 hours than I have had in all the time since I installed Opera 6 sometime in 2004. Seriously, it is that bad. I think it may be the flash plugin because the crashes are positively correlated (but not 100%) with visiting flash-heavy sites. Reinstalling flash did not help.

I am running XP SP3 on a middle-of-the-road netbook, If you check the Opera blogs and communal forum, though, the problem is not OS-specific. Debian and Vista users report increased frequency of crashes as well, as well as higher-than-usual cpu loads on sites like youtube.

Just a friendly warning: hold off on upgrading for a bit until 10.02 is released. I've even turned auto-update off on my other machines so that I don't accidentally update them as well. For now, I am using Maxthon 2 on my netbook and waiting for an Opera update to be released. I don't want to revert back to 10 (yet) and lose my custom gestures and other settings ><.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that info - unfortunately I upgraded a few weeks ago. I haven't noticed a problem yet though.

I think the update only came out a week and a half or so ago.

Might be just my install, but the fact that there were quite a few reports of similar symptoms @ the opera forums threw me off. Plus, I certainly haven't changed any settings since v. 10.00

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 14
Sigh. Well, looks like its time for a clean browser install. Maxthon is not as polished as Opera and nowhere near as nimble (though the functionality is top notch), and I really hate having to install 5-6 add-ons in FF to get it to a productive state.

Sorry for the false alarm, guys.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 14
How about flash? Is yours up to date? I played a couple of flash games with Opera (no updates for XP other than the initial SP3) on Kongregate, no crashes. Opera sure has changed since I last used it years ago.

What sites are crashing you?

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 14
OP: I mistakenly thought you were talking about Corda Opera and how it blew up on you and all that
wink.gif

It's good to know this is just another Mac problem.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about flash? Is yours up to date? I played a couple of flash games with Opera (no updates for XP other than the initial SP3) on Kongregate, no crashes. Opera sure has changed since I last used it years ago.

What sites are crashing you?

Yeah I reinstalled flash. This site for example is insta-crash for me on opera. Cpu usage goes through the roof and opera locks. Opens fine with my ff 3.03, Maxthon 2, and IE 8.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 14
I meant to mention Java instead of Flash. Most of my browser crashes in Firefox are usually Java related.

My CPU usage floats around 67% due to that flash video, both Opera and Firefox.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant to mention Java instead of Flash. Most of my browser crashes in Firefox are usually Java related.

My CPU usage floats around 67% due to that flash video, both Opera and Firefox.

Ah, Java. Good point, will try to reinstall later tonight. Also, your CPU is probably 3-4x more powerful than my atom @ 800Mhz, so you may be able to pull through it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People who like decent browsers.

This. IE, as much as it has improved in the last two versions, is still as restrictive and inflexible as a steel cage.

Also, I use my browser a lot, probably 10-12 hours per day. Getting Firefox to a state in which I can be at maximum productivity with it requires installing a half dozen add-ons and this has only started diminishing in the last year or so. Advanced tabbing, mouse gestures, automatic bookmark, note, and password sync, decent RSS and mail cients, built-in torrenting, and spatial navigation are just a few things that require add-ons in FF, not to mention that it just doesn't feel as nimble and responsive as Opera. Also, the memory leaks in the second release of FF that resulted in 7-digit memory consumption may have turned me away from it forever.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP: It's good to know this is just another Mac problem.

The OP states he uses Windows XP SP3, so it is a windows problem, and I find Opera to be a much more robust and quicker browser as comapred to Safari, Firefox and IE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back