A volume knob, and ONLY a volume knob?
Oct 14, 2004 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mbayaq

Head-Fier
I just picked up a pair of KRK Rokit 5's (I know, they arent headphones, but my question relates to preamp type stuff
biggrin.gif
). Basically, they have no volume control other than the gain adjustment on the back. I need to be able to adjust the volume, and the only way I have been able to so far is by using the windows control panel and adjusting the main volume by mouse..... and it really sucks.

I would like something to basically do what this does, the Mackie Big Knob, though I only really need volume control and input selection is optional. I also don't want to pay a lot for it, preferably under $20.

I found another option, the Griffin Powermate, which is a USB knob that adjusts the control panel volume or whatever I want it to. This, unfortunately, costs $40-$50. I would really like to be able to adjust the volume without paying more than the cost of my sound card to do so.

I'm also very open to DIY ideas, such as buying a pot and putting in a box with two 1/8" jacks on it or something, but I'm not sure what pots would be worth getting, or even if this is the best option. I'm open to any and all ideas and suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Oct 14, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 16
I would suggest a radio shack inline headphone volume control if you are from the states but since your profile is blank practically i don't even know if you have access to rat shack.

Not the utmost fidelity but far cheaper and less of a sound butcher than the other two suggestions.If local check it out man

Oct 14, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 16
So a radio shack inline headphone volume control would give better results, than say, a DIY pot in a box? (By the way, would a pot in a box wired to 1/8" jacks even work?)

And just to be clear this will go between my soundcard and the RCA input jacks on the speakers. (With a 1/8" to RCA Y-cable of course.)

P.S. There is also a Fry's electronics in my area, not sure if they would have better stuff than radio shack.

Oct 14, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbayaq
So a radio shack inline headphone volume control would give better results, than say, a DIY pot in a box? (By the way, would a pot in a box wired to 1/8" jacks even work?)

And just to be clear this will go between my soundcard and the RCA input jacks on the speakers. (With a 1/8" to RCA Y-cable of course.)

P.S. There is also a Fry's electronics in my area, not sure if they would have better stuff than radio shack.

A good pot in a box will be better than the radio shack inline volume control, which is the same thing with really cheap components that they charge a lot for.

At about $3, Panasonic EVJ's are probably as good as it gets under $20-$25 for a pot. They are available from digikey, but digikey charges $5 handling fee for orders under $25. Off the top of my head, I don't know anywhere else that has them, but I'm sure there are plenty of places. I'm not going to be ordering anything from digikey in the near future or I'd get one and mail it to you. I've never opened a ratshack box, but an EVJ is pretty much guaranteed to be better. You'd probably want 10k-ish (maybe 20k) [EDIT]*cough* 1K *cough* [/EDIT] in stereo audio (log) taper.

Oct 14, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 16
I use the cheapy radio shack inline volume all the time without any problem.

No,not on my main system but for portable or computer it harms nothing and is not noticeable as being in the circuit

i also own two pairs of KOSS/Optimus/Radio shack headphones with the very same control but built in,and again it does no harm.there are times when the simple solution is the best solution when you put it into the context of what the end use is.

Radio Shack :

42-2559.jpg

$6.59 retail,simple and cheap

KOSS :

VC20_lg.jpg

$9.99

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 16
those are simple and cheap, but:

1. My computer is on the floor, and plugging that into my sound card would require the use of a headphone extension cable, which I would also have to buy.

2. I was trying for something of a large knob design, so I could quickly and easily turn it, without having to fumble around with a cord to find the little adjustment wheel.

P.S. Since radioshack is so close, would a pot like this work? I could pop into radioshack, buy a pot, an 1/8" female jack (if they carry those), and a little box and be done. As long as it didn't really degrate the sound quality, that would be a good option for me. I guess I could even get one 1/8" minijack and two female RCA jacks, and have the box also act as a 1/8" to RCA adapter. Hmmm... that would be quite nice, but I'm worried about the sound quality, should I be?

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbayaq
something like this, then?

I am not sure if it would work, but it definately isn't ideal. It is only for a single channel, so you would need 2. It is also probably linear rather than logaritmic since it isn't intended for audio.

I was unable to find anything suitable on Radioshacks page.

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 16
You could use this one:
Alpha dual-gang audio taper 1K pot
You'll have to pay shipping, but mouser doesn't charge handling charges and basic UPS should be about $5. You can also get all your other parts there, and they'll be better and cheaper than at radio shack - you'll probably save the $5 it costs to ship just by ordering from mouser as opposed to radio shack. The only problem is, I'm not sure if they sell small volumes (less than 100ft) of cable.

Jimmy

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman
You could use this one:
Alpha dual-gang audio taper 1K pot
You'll have to pay shipping, but mouser doesn't charge handling charges and basic UPS should be about $5. You can also get all your other parts there, and they'll be better and cheaper than at radio shack - you'll probably save the $5 it costs to ship just by ordering from mouser as opposed to radio shack. The only problem is, I'm not sure if they sell small volumes (less than 100ft) of cable.

Jimmy

Thanks for the heads up on that, I just ordered one.
lambda.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
not exactly your budget, but how about the Powermate?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/

That's just a tool that lets you adjust your computer's soundcard volume with a big knob instead of the computer's volume control, it doesn't actually give you anything new - and soundcard volume changes are bad for sound quality, especially without a "professional" or "audiophile" soundcard.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool gadget, but I'd use it for the things you can do with it excluding volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back