A Visit to Decware
May 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #121 of 152
Quote:
pebpeb, my time at Decware showed that they are very open and straight forward about their gear. If you have a question about whether a mod would be beneficial I would call (Don't e-mail..very slow) Steve and ask him about what you are considering. If he believes it is a good move he will tell you. 

I love your tube choices. The cheap stock 6N1P is a great tube!

I just bought 8 of them from Russia for 20.00 shipped and all new for my Stratus when it is delivered uses a 6N10p so I loaded up on NOS.  I now have 11.

May 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #122 of 152
Quote:
I just bought 8 of them from Russia for 20.00 shipped and all new for my Stratus when it is delivered uses a 6N10p so I loaded up on NOS.  I now have 11.

the Russian 6N1P is a very underrated tube,
well, maybe not anymore
They have a mid-range and bass extension that I couldn't find in any other tube....also one of the quietest of the 6922 variant out there, just really well built

I tried a few from Cryoset:
-- the Electro Harmonix cryo'd
-- Voshod 1973 cryo'd
-- Voshod 1980 cryo'd

The cryo'd versions never had the warmth and mid-range of the original 1981 Voshod that Steve shipped with the amp
Although, I really liked the Cryoset Voshod '73...more detail and neutral than the stock Voshod '81, but not as quiet and a bit harsh in the treble, but I might have not given it enough break-in....my experience has been the 6N1P needs a lot of break-in time

Hope you find a gem in that lot
bigsmile_face.gif

May 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #123 of 152
Quote:
pebpeb, my time at Decware showed that they are very open and straight forward about their gear. If you have a question about whether a mod would be beneficial I would call (Don't e-mail..very slow) Steve and ask him about what you are considering. If he believes it is a good move he will tell you. 

I love your tube choices. The cheap stock 6N1P is a great tube!

My guess is that this would be an upgrade that I would like....The CSP2 is incredibly detailed and neutral

It was the only headamp I owned for 4+ years, until recently buying the Burson Soloist SL

I demo'd some other amps a few times, but not with any intention of buying

So, with the Burson, I finally had a chance to really compare tube vs. SS

The Decware has incredible detail when stacked against the Burson....was very suprised...

I could see the Jupiters adding some more detail, and some more depth to tone and mid-range

May 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #125 of 152
May 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #126 of 152
And an interesting insight into one engineer's creative process...

May 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #127 of 152
Quote:
And an interesting insight into one engineer's creative process...

Good thing he lives next door to the shop. Easy to act on the ideas when they hit!

May 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #128 of 152
May 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #129 of 152
Eric - his poor wife then :eek: Or maybe she prefers him out from underfoot :D

Opr8r, dear me, so fickle...at least try to let your taboo down gently :p

Good thing he lives next door to the shop. Easy to act on the ideas when they hit!

May 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #130 of 152
Andre, I think DeVon is used to this...Genius has no clock!

May 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #131 of 152
Heh heh. Aint that the truth!

May 18, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #132 of 152
Eric - his poor wife then :eek: Or maybe she prefers him out from underfoot :D

Opr8r, dear me, so fickle...at least try to let your taboo down gently :p

As much as I love my Taboo as it is, I'd put a ring on it if it had a phono stage.

May 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #133 of 152
Quote:
Quote:
Eric - his poor wife then
eek.gif
Or maybe she prefers him out from underfoot
biggrin.gif

Opr8r, dear me, so fickle...at least try to let your taboo down gently
tongue.gif

As much as I love my Taboo as it is, I'd put a ring on it if it had a phono stage.

That's what the ZP3 is for!

May 18, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #134 of 152
I gotta admit, that latest shot of the new amp looks quite something...

Probably some of the others in that thread are right - it's a two channel amp that sits between the torii and torii monos in power. Imo no headphone option, no phono stage Opr8r - but if these partial photos are any indication, none of our wallets are safe!

May 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #135 of 152
Quote:
I gotta admit, that latest shot of the new amp looks quite something...

Probably some of the others in that thread are right - it's a two channel amp that sits between the torii and torii monos in power. Imo no headphone option, no phono stage Opr8r - but if these partial photos are any indication, none of our wallets are safe!

The very existence of Decware threatens my wallet.  I still want that ZP3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back