A very unique equipment hunt (DAC/AMP), please help!
Dec 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mmorkaj

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but have been reading a lot of the posts and reviews before posting my question.  So I have some limitations that absolutely can not be compromised, they are the following.

NO computer interface ports (com/usb/firewire)

I'm looking to get the best sound possible for under $100 out of a CD player that has optical output.  So far the only option I have found is the SMSL SD-793II.  Everything else I have found has either USB/Firewire (duh it's a digital converter, of course it's going to have a computer source).

The other option I have found is using something like this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2
A simple optical to RCA digital to analog converter in conjunction with a headphone AMP.  

My question is are there some other options I haven't been able to find out there?  Maybe some good legacy equipment I can get used?  How good is the SD-793II?  I am used to my high quality mackie onyx interface/pres so something of similar quality would be nice :)

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 2
So are you looking for a DAC or CD player?

If CD player, then second hand Marantz or Yamaha,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back