a very sad Hendrix experience
Jul 30, 2005 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sanity8me

500+ Head-Fier
so i was at my friend's party the other night and he had a bunch of nonsense queued up on his computer. i decided to check if he has anything "good," and to my surprise i found Jim Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner (the only Hendrix he had) which i immiediately double clicked on. it's such a Great song. i actually remember closing my eyes for a few seconds when it started. i leave the room and begin frolicing with a few random people i knew, who didn't even seem to notice that Hendrix was on, but that didn't bother me.

here's where my very sad Hendrix experience occurs. only after about a minute and a half of it playing this kid walks in and changes it to that "Drop Like It's Hot" song by Snoop Dogg (i think), who i actually sort of used to like back in the day. now, did i pick up the metal baseball bat right next to me and beat the living crap out of this kid? no. i'm not a violent person. i asked him one simple question: "Why?"

his reply: "Dude, that song wasn't party material."

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
"Dude, that song wasn't party material."

I really don’t understand that. A lot of parties I go to have Hendrix playing in the background.
confused.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 19
If the only Hendrix your friend had was Star Spangled Banner, you need to drop by and share some stuff with him.

See ya
Steve

Jul 30, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 19
this is weird. just today i got Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland album. i'm a newbie to Hendrix, but my uncle told me about All Along the Watchtower and i liked that one so i decided to listen to more. i like almost all the songs on this album
cool.gif

Jul 30, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 19
Get Are You Experienced too.

See ya
Steve

Jul 30, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 19
The guy was absolutely right you know. It has nothing to do with whether the music is good or not. It has to do with it being the right time and place, and I'm sorry, a party is NOT the right place for the Hendrix Star Spangled Banner. In fact, it's a surefire way to clear the room.

Quote:

...and begin frolicing with a few random people i knew, who didn't even seem to notice that Hendrix was on...

That about sums it up.

The point of music at a party (as long as it's not one of those we're-too-cool-to-dance parties) is to get people excited, loose and moving. To put on music that you personally find beautiful or moving but doesn't work at all on a visceral level is foolish.

Of all the music I love, I'd say only about 10-20% of it is really legitimately fit for a party.

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 19
i agree, maybe that song wasnt "party material" but the guy should have at least let it play through if someone had just put it on...then do whatever he wanted after it was over...

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 19
Don't change someone's music without asking, especially if they've setup their hot "party mix." This doesn't apply quite as much to a small gathering of personal friends, but it's still polite to ask. And I also agree, even as cool as Hendrix is, his Star Spangled Banner is not party music.

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
i agree, maybe that song wasnt "party material" but the guy should have at least let it play through if someone had just put it on...then do whatever he wanted after it was over...

yeah, exactly.

i've noticed that, during parties and such, the number one reason most of my friends in college put music on to impress girls. sadly, Jimi Hendrix and the like are usually no where near consideration for them even though they may be fans.

it's just sad how great music isn't appreciatted the way it should be appreciatted, but what are you gona do...

Jul 30, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Don't change someone's music without asking, especially if they've setup their hot "party mix." This doesn't apply quite as much to a small gathering of personal friends, but it's still polite to ask. And I also agree, even as cool as Hendrix is, his Star Spangled Banner is not party music.

of course i asked before changing and he had no "party mix," just whatever was on his computer.

Jul 30, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

it's just sad how great music isn't appreciatted the way it should be appreciatted, but what are you gona do...

Let the people decide what should be appreciated and what's great in their opinion
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

his reply: "Dude, that song wasn't party material."

I completely agree with the guy. Hendrix' performance of "The Star Spangled Banner" is about as far removed from a party song as I think you can get. It is a wonderful political statement and expresses the frustration of the Vietnam era quite well. It does not, in my opinion, move people to dance, drink, converse, or whatever else goes on at a typical party. There are lots of other Hendrix songs that do do those things. Honestly, if you are picking music at a party I think you should select music that is appropriate for the mood of the party.

Bryan

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by djgustashaw
If he get an attitude, pop it like it's hot, pop it like it's hot...
biggrin.gif

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back