A very angry man...
Dec 15, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #31 of 41
I tried it on a couple, both say this drive is unreadable. I'm going to attempt to restore the drives in a couple weeks.

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #32 of 41
Anyone with data on a drive WILL lose data. It's not if, but when.
You may accidently delete something, the OS may corrupt something, or the electronics may die. Same result.
Your only defense is backups and archives.

I've tossed a few files by accident. Only harm done is lost time recovering the file from a backup disc.

'bout a year ago, silent OS crash corrupted a partition containing 35gigs of music.
No problem, recovery from backup took a few hours, but all was OK in the end.

It would be a serious drag to rerip hundreds of discs.

http://taobackup.com/

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried it on a couple, both say this drive is unreadable. I'm going to attempt to restore the drives in a couple weeks.

Juzmister, if you are still trying to recover this drive, post again and let me know if the system bios are able to detect the drive. If so there is one other thing you can try.

The best thing you can do for any hard drive is put a fan on it. Heat is HD enemy number 1.

AR

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

lol great now the drive is making funny noises, sounds pretty strange, computer won't book. Just stopped in the middle of the getbackdata thing after 36 hours...pretty weird stuff. Any suggestions how I can get this stuff back?

Hope those sounds weren't "clicking" sounds. Good luck

Jan 18, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #35 of 41
I hope you can salvage your songs. You should buy an external harddrive to back up your files. This is what I do with my songs in case I lose them. I have most of it on cds, but still...it takes a lot of time to rip them to the computer.

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #36 of 41
I HATE H/Ds!! I have one crash on me every 18-20 Months. Drives me nuts. Ive developed a 6th sense for it too. Blue screens, freezes, black screens, freezing keyboards, wierd clicks and blip sounds from the drive...etc... all are signs of death lurking. Although my last crash happened out of the blue without warning.

I use a 40G fujitsu laptop drive and USB HD enclosure and regularly back up all my files. I dont touch or move the drive, it sits on my desk behind my monitor. I further back that up onto CD ROM for my pics and music.

Is it just me or is drive capacity & speed inversely proportional to reliability? I for one would take a smaller drive (80G is plenty for me) thats super reliable. Over any of the current ones.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #37 of 41
Well if the worst comes to the worst and you've tried everything.

One trick I've heard is to put them in the freezer. Seriously.

I'd assume as the metal cools it shrinks and so say if the read/write head had shifted away from the platter it will now be in contact.

I haven't tried it but a few have and said it can work and if it does just long enough to get everything off.

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #38 of 41
Hi,
I had this drive (300gb) sent to Seagate, they sent me back a 500gb external drive...I was happy with the outcome. Data is gone, but it turns out I had the stuff on a corrupted external drive so I recovered that, and got back like 9000 songs...

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a 300gb maxtor as my primary music holder, and a 160gb external hd for backup (i copy paste every couple of months rofl).

i use mainly MP3's so I don't waste alot of precious space that could potentially be for movies =D

Uhh.. the OP posts a thread for help. Instead of providing assistance, you reply with your manner of backup that works awesome for you..and then type rofl to this person? So, to clarify, instead of replying back with a suggestion, you are laughing on the floor AND rolling around on the ground?
blink.gif

To the OP, perhaps see if you can clean the contact points or device attempting to retrieve the image, it may be possible to extract that information yet..hope this works out for you

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Hi,
I had this drive (300gb) sent to Seagate, they sent me back a 500gb external drive...I was happy with the outcome. Data is gone, but it turns out I had the stuff on a corrupted external drive so I recovered that, and got back like 9000 songs...

Glad to hear not all was lost. And an extra 200gb for your troubles - no all bad.

Jan 19, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #41 of 41
I've owned about 40 HDDs so far, and the only brand that has never failed was seagate. Sorry to hear about your troubles. For anyone out there with REAL important data (read: business related), here are companies that take apart the plates in a clean room and restore the data sector by sector. Its phenomenally expensive, but it gets the data back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back