A very angry man...
Dec 14, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #16 of 41
i have a 300gb maxtor as my primary music holder, and a 160gb external hd for backup (i copy paste every couple of months rofl).

i use mainly MP3's so I don't waste alot of precious space that could potentially be for movies =D

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This' a good learning experience. I had at least 3 hd crashes in the pass, 2 Maxtor and 1 Conner. I've learned to protect my data, specially, my music and digital photographs. I found a very cheap way to make a second copy of my files. I use an IDE adapter to make good use of some of my smaller unused drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812119017

Everytime I upgrade my systems, I usually find some of the smaller drives or less quiet drives unused, and I turn them to backup (Portable) archives. I simply use the portable adapter to transfer my files and keep the drives as my back up. It only takes a couple minutes to reconnect the adapter to have the information available again.

It's a very cheap "portable system"
wink.gif

whoa-nelly-- nice gadget, does the usb power the drive or do you still need to plug it into a power dongle off of the power supply?
(add: or is that what that big ugly power transformer is for?
tongue.gif
)

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 41
Last year, I lost everything due to some problem that was not the hard drive.
I used a file recovery program and got back about 90% of my stuff. The only problem I have found is that many (but not all) of my MP3 files have about a second or two clipped off the beginning of each song. They all came up as "unknown mp3" with only the ID3 tags to identify each song. I have been re-ripping as many songs as I can ever since this happened.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_dudd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoa-nelly-- nice gadget, does the usb power the drive or do you still need to plug it into a power dongle off of the power supply?
(add: or is that what that big ugly power transformer is for?
tongue.gif
)

Yes. You're looking at the BUF transformer
biggrin.gif
. Actually, it does not bother me a bit. I only use it when I need to transfer data. The price and convenience is overriding.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 41
wait this device seems really good. sorry for being a noob but basically you dont need an external enclosure if you have this because it connectes the ata to the usb and theres a seperate cord for the power port that connects to socket.

is that right? if so, im gonna have to get me one of these

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 41
I had a pci ide adapter card that kept dropping 2 of the hdds that were on it. One of them was my 160gb drive for mp3 storage. During one of the times it got dropped, it corrupted about 30gb of the drive but it also sc***ed up the indexes to a bunch of the files so that when those files get opened, they play the wrong songs
blink.gif
Now every time my media player comes across one of these ( i have a shortcut for randomized auto playlist) I have to re-rip that album
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #22 of 41
Same probably happened to me. If my music is gone, I may buy a turntable and start the collection over.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait this device seems really good. sorry for being a noob but basically you dont need an external enclosure if you have this because it connectes the ata to the usb and theres a seperate cord for the power port that connects to socket.

is that right? if so, im gonna have to get me one of these

I found it pretty neat. It converts virtually all IDE (Compatible interface) devices into USB. Your PC would see it as a USB device. It's actually better than drives with the external enclosure which is noisy due to the cooling fan. The drive is air-cooled. I've tried it with my HD and optical drives, and it's flawless. They also have the SATA version, but it costs a few more pretzels.
wink.gif

Yes. It has a IDE-USB cable and a separate power supply with standard 5-pin hd connector to feed the drives. The kit powers the drives independently.

Enjoy.

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 41
Runtime GetDataBack is an absolutely excellent software. It is mandatory for me.

I permanently lost data quite alot, three times in my years of using computer, but I learn my lesson now andd it wont happen again. The bigs dealt with raid0 and inexperience.

Now I use RAID1, which has error checking and two copies of each drives. Feels much safer. But I will have to burn dvd back up also.

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #25 of 41
Dec 15, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3x331m: I'm using one of these usb/ide adaptors as well (see: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192360) - works just fine. There are several models available now (caveat: the cheapest ones tend to come with a USB power adptor cable instead of a wallwart), the most advanced ones already support both IDE/(P)ATA and SATA (e.g. this Sitecom: http://www.sitecom.com/product.php?p...subgroupid=11#)

Greetings from Munich!

Manfed / lini

I like the Sitecom design. It looks pretty neat.

Thanks for sharing your information.
rs1smile.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #28 of 41
Get software called GetDataBack. Yes I know the name is cheasy and I also thought it was garbage... but it works VERY well. Your files should still be on HDD in good condition, just something got screwed up and doesnt allow you to get to them. PM me if you need help getting it
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #29 of 41
lol great now the drive is making funny noises, sounds pretty strange, computer won't book. Just stopped in the middle of the getbackdata thing after 36 hours...pretty weird stuff. Any suggestions how I can get this stuff back?

Dec 15, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #30 of 41
i had a scare like this awhile ago and (luckily) for me my external harddrive got unplugged and that's why it was reading as undeteced, but i really thought my music was long gone (after 3 or so more years of collection), i'd definitely try it on another computer and also disconnect it and re-connect it to the computer you use it with, you never know it may be something as simple as that, hopefully it is, try a few computers (if you can) to check it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back