A versatile, inexpensive amp with BIG bass + bouncy sound?
Jun 16, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
So it looks like a toss-up between the PPX3 or Woo-audio... I have not really tried a proper tube amp (only the X-cans) with headphones, so maybe I should give it a go... are these amps alright for dancey music then, because some people say they are too "slow" sounding for this type of music, is that right, or is it just generalising?

Gonna read your review now v-tec (PS I take it you drive a Honda
biggrin.gif
).

I got to spend the night with the PPX3 doing nothing but dance and trance. No problem.

Jun 16, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #32 of 42
Also another part that interests me is the possibility of using this thing as a pre-amp, can this be done on both the PPX3 and Woo, because if it can I'd be quite tempted to get rid of my integrated amp and buy a cheap Rotel power amp, which would probably also give me the flavour of tubes through my speakers?

How much does it cost to get it adapted in this way (it also needs to be capable of accepting at least 3 sources)?

Jun 16, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #33 of 42
go to wooaudio.com

The custom wooaudio-1 you see with 4 inputs, stepped attenuator and preamp functions is mine. The wooaudio-1 is $390 for preamp capability. You can email Woo to find out about your options.

As for poweramp, I'd TOTALLY go tripath based (blaupunkt car amp) but that's just me
biggrin.gif
Go check up at audiocircle.com about these amps.

Jun 16, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #34 of 42
Funny you should mention Blaupunkt and tripath, I have a 10" sealed subwoofer that I ripped out of my car, a little active tripath based Blaupunkt. It is a superb little sub for the price.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, back on topic, is it $390 extra for the pre-amp functionality on the Woo, or $390 for everything?

Jun 17, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #35 of 42
The best thing for you to do is email Woo about the price. Rest assured it's not $390 for the preamp upgrade by itself!

Jun 17, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #36 of 42
I remember you my 2 cents opinion
A versatile, inexpensive amp with BIG bass + bouncy sound ? Total Airhead , burr brown version
Ivy from headroom will likely loan it to you on the educational/loaner program
I know it seems a light choice..

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #37 of 42
sacd lover is quickly becoming the "man" to ask about budget tube amps. Watch out though, he is an incredible salesman. I found myself ordering the new prototype based on just a few conversations with him.

Now if only mikhail would write me back....

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
sacd lover is quickly becoming the "man" to ask about budget tube amps. Watch out though, he is an incredible salesman.

Yes, he is, and since he knows what he's talking about it really becomes pretty hard to resist!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #39 of 42
WOW, I have just found out it will cost $85 USD to ship the PPX3 to the UK
eek.gif

It looks as though it will be a two way tie then between this PPX3 and the cheaper Woo Audio 1, but which one.....
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Is the PPX3 a relatively forgiving amp? I dont want an amp that is ruthless and shows me every little fault, but I do want an amp that is friendly, and BANGIN!!

Also, where can I get a PPX3?

That is what I like about my PPX3. I have a stock unit, no upgrades at all, and it is a very inviting amp. It is a detailed amp and can show you the faults in your system, yet at the same time you won't really care since you'll be too busy listening to the music with it. I listen to a lot of electronic music with it, as well as having the same soundcard, so I'm quite sure you will like the PPX3 with your music and source. And as an extra bonus, the build quality on the thing is fantastic and Mikhail is a great person to deal with
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 6:06 AM Post #41 of 42
Yeah, no doubt that build quality on the singlepower stuff is top notch. I like that about the singlepower amps.

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #42 of 42
The Talisman T-3H is relatively unheard off here. It would be interesting if someone could do a comparison of how it performs against some other amps. Click here more more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back