A/V receivers with the best DACs?
Feb 23, 2011 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

diodiel

500+ Head-Fier

im just wondering if there actually good receivers with good DACs..

my main source is a deskto.

i recently got a nuforce udac2, just wondering if its actually better to just use "pc-digi out--> av receiver coax input" than "pc-usb-->udac2-->receiver analog in"

i hope someone replies thanks!

EDIT: also have you guys heard of the pioneer sx-780 and yamaha htr5650.. any thoughts?

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Not sure any lower cost av receivers have a really decent digital section.  The ones I have heard are pretty poor then again so is my opinion of the nuforce.  Now some of the older ones around 10 years old or so that were near top of the line may have a decent dac.  Maybe you can pick one up for a decent price.

As for 30 year old receivers, they sound okay if you like a warmish type flavor.  Personally, most $150 pro audio amps sound more open and revealing although without the features  and warmer tone of the older receivers.

I am sure they can sound really nice but might be a bit worried about caps going etc.  Then again if you can pick one up for under $100 I might go for it.  Certainly would not spend more than that, they really are overpriced on ebay for example.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 6
i might save for a good DAC, i rushed to buy udac2, good thing i can still return them.. lol ill just enjoy what i have for now while it last.
do you use any DAC? or what should i save for? i got the htr5650, if i get a real good DAC, ill just use it as an amp/surround=)

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 6
You have a digital coax out in your pc?  If so why not run it into the Yamaha and see how it does compared to the microdac.

As for what I use, I don't use a dac in my desktop system, since I use a Logitech touch for music and do use a Blue Circle BS-509 dac in my living room system with the Macbook.

There are lots of dacs on the market and some decent ones in the low to mid range that I have used and heard are E-mu 1212m, Purepiper, TC Electronic BMC-2, PS Audio DL3.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Oh that's cool yeah I'm using it right now. I kinda like it better now than udac2, do u believe in burning-in for dacs? Ill read abt those dacs that you have mentioned, also, are they meant for good home theater too? For music/movies in surround? Thanks for replying hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back