A/V receivers with headphones?
Apr 1, 2015 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shootara9

New Head-Fier
Very new to headfi community, please don't roast me for my stupidity. My understanding of audio equipment is scant, but my school is selling an AV receiver, the Panasonic SA-HE70 for cheap I noticed it had a headphone jack. Could I use it for headphones in general, maybe even high end ones like the t5p?

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 5
Short answer: Yes, you can use it - but you might not want to.

Longer answer: Unfortunately, many low-cost AV receivers consider the headphone jack an unimportant feature that doesn't deserve any real engineering effort. It is not uncommon for the headphone jack to just be the main amp output sent through large resistors to bring the voltage down to headphone levels. This creates signal that is fairly noisy and will also cause the headphone jack to have a high output impedance, which can change the sound and/or cause problems with low-impedance headphones.

A $60 Fiio E11K or a $75 Fiio E10K is often a better choice.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Very new to headfi community, please don't roast me for my stupidity. My understanding of audio equipment is scant, but my school is selling an AV receiver, the Panasonic SA-HE70 for cheap I noticed it had a headphone jack. Could I use it for headphones in general, maybe even high end ones like the t5p?

A/V receiver's headphone output's usually have a high impedance, so higher Ohm headphones (250-Ohm or 300-Ohm) would be the better choice for plugging directly into the receiver.
The Beyer T5p are 32-Ohm

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 5
^^

What they said. Plus, Pansonic is not known for being a good quality AVR brand. I wouldn't pay a lot of money for it to use as just an AVR (not headphones). Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, or Harmon Kardon are better brands for the money. If you really want a receiver, check Craigslist. You might be able to do better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back