a/v receiver help
Aug 1, 2008 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

demoNMaCHiN3

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to try hooking up my a/v receiver to my computer just for the time being until I get an amp/dac since I'm not using it for anything anyway.

My receiver is a yamaha rx-v2095 and my mobo is an asus a8n-sli deluxe. I've connected my pc to my receiver with a toslink cable (cd input on my receiver) but I don't get any audio. I've tried switching it to dvd input but that also doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work? Thanks.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 12
Did you set the Receiver to right input? Make sure if you do, set it to "optical" OR "AUTO" for the digital/analog input on the receiver.

And also, make sure you have the driver for the motherboard if you want to output sound through the optical or else there's no signal going through.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Where on the receiver are you connecting it? And what's the input selected?

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 12
On the back there is an optical input for CD (along with TV and DVD). I switched the input mode to auto and selected CD. It could just be that since this is a ~9 year old receiver it's not compatible with my mobo.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Switch to DVD instead, and it should work, optical signal is optical signal, no matter how old.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 12
is the computer setup to output optical? look at the toslink output on the computer and make sure you can see a red light

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 12
I switched the input to DVD and selected DVD on the menu but still no sound.

Also, I don't see a red light. I looked through the sound options on my computer but I don't know how exactly to set it to output optical.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 12
nvm, got it to work
biggrin.gif

i had to reinstall the old asus realtek driver and set it to optical out from there. The new nvidia nmixer or whatever doesn't allow you to change it to optical output for some reason.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 12
I hate to say this, but I told you so.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 12
well I did have the drivers installed, just that the new updated drivers won't allow you to switch to optical. I just had to reinstall the old drivers.

thanks for the help guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back