A Unique Problem? Grado SR60i
Oct 19, 2009 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus

I've enjoyed my Grados now for a few months with almost no annoyances. A couple of weeks ago I modified the grills because I thought it would look awesome. In the end, I thought it looked awesome,
atsmile.gif
but the next day I noticed a high pitch crackling in the left ear,
frown.gif
quite like the sound of an over-loaded driver slowly dying.

(long ago I soldered an OLD internal PC speaker to an audio jack and cranked up the volume to see what happened, and it gradually made a crackling sound, made a "pop" and died).

But I digress; initially I pretty much thought I had wrecked my almost new headphones. Then I decided to investigate and started by taking off the sponge ear pads. I then noticed in the left pad some of my hair had managed to sneak through, so I pulled it out and suspiciously put the sponge back on for another test. To my relief the crackling sound disappeared.

Since then, this has happened another three times! I keep having to pick out an odd hair that vibrates with the music, which each time still gives me a horrible fright!

I wonder does anyone else have similar trouble with the Grado pads?

Oh and before you ask, NO, I am not planning to go skinhead.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Definitely a well defined problem. Doesn't become too much of a problem, unless you have really fine hair. I get it once or twice a month at the very most, just have to carefully grab the hair with some tweezers and pull. If the hair gets lodged in there, I've heard of some people putting some suction over the speaker grill and breathing softly. Never tried this with my headphones though, I'm a little too worried I'd break the diaphragm.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 6
This happens all the time with HD650s, they'll get a lot of crap building up on the diaphragm causing vibrations. Just clean em out.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 6
I think some of the more extremists would opt to shave their head. But yeah I get this now and then too. I try to gently blow into the cups, works decently well as long as you don't spray...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back