a turntable repair question
Nov 28, 2005 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
A few months ago I salvaged a dual 1218 turntable, found an old shure cart and was happy with the music it played. However I never took this turntable seriously as it always emitted some hum and would always make a very nasty pop when the tone arm was moved outwards from the rest or back in. The sound quality wasn't very good either, but this might have been due to the built-in phono stage on a receiver I was using. Lately I've gotten a little more interested in vinyl and I want to try to restore this turntable if possible before investing in a brand new one.

The dual 1218 uses a rubber idler which is in pretty good shape, no chips or cracks and the rubber is still soft and pliable. But there is a big problem, the platter seems like it is bent or warped. When I play a record I can see the tonearm moving slightly up and down from the bend. Originally I thought this was due to the rubber ridges glued on to the top of the platter being warped, so I removed those and was left with a bare metal platter....that was still warped.

What can I do? Perhaps it is not the platter that is dinged but the center axle might be bent? what are my options at this point for repair? Is it worth it?

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 4
Highly unlikely that the platter itself is warped. It's more likely a problem with the bearing. If you are lucky its possible that the bearing housing has somehow become loose from the plinth or something. Lift off the platter / subplatter if it has one and check if the hole where the spindle goes in is flush with the plinth. Also check that the splindle isn't bent which will be a bigger problem.
Is it making any grinding noises when it rotates. If you can disengage the idler / brake (if it has one) see if the platter rotates freely without making any noise.
http://www.dual-reference.com/
these guys have a list of contacts in the states for parts and servicing.
It's a pretty nice old deck though if its worth repairing.

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 4
In Canada you can find parts and service for your Dual at All-In-One-Electronics in Toronto.

All-In-One Electronics
DUAL Authorized Parts Centre
50 Wingold Avenue
Toronto, Canada
M6B 1P7

rtracy@all-electronics.com
Large Selection of Parts, Fast Service!
Tel 416.789.0668

GWN

Nov 30, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 4
I have a Dual CS508 that hummed until I replaced the interconnects. I replaced the spade on the ground wire too as some on the strands had broke. I responded to a similar complaint someone had about this time last year. Try jiggling the cable when you hear the hum. You should keep the sound low though or you might damage your speakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back