a tube just blew in my ear
May 4, 2005 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

OceanEnthusiast

100+ Head-Fier
i was doing some tube swapping on my mg-head otl MK-III and decided to try the stock 6BQ5's again. flipped the switch to the amp back on, everything was ok for about 15 seconds then SHREEOOOOOEEIEIEIEIEIEIEIK! right in my ear, scared the crap out of me and was very loud. i thought one of the tubes was a little quiet, but i guess it was completely faulty.

anyway, once my heart stopped racing and i resolved some of the adrenaline, i threw them both in the trash. they sucked anyway. my ear seems to be ok. #$%#$^%#$%

May 4, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 15
One reason solid state is better?
biggrin.gif

Seriously at least you are ok.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 15
true for sure.

i was listening to bob marley too, was all mellow, relaxed. it was like watching a peaceful movie about childhood then have a zombie with his faced ripped off jump out of a closet. it was awful, my emotional state is still not back to normal.

May 4, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 15
LOL, well from the thread title I thought you were going to tell us it was trying to put the make on you!
tongue.gif

May 4, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
true for sure.

i was listening to bob marley too, was all mellow, relaxed. it was like watching a peaceful movie about childhood then have a zombie with his faced ripped off jump out of a closet. it was awful, my emotional state is still not back to normal.

that's hilarious

May 4, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 15
Was it the sound coming through your headphones, or was it the tube itself making that noise?

EIther way, even with solid state, I use el crappo headphones to test new equipment, with the volume turned all the way down, and the ear pads, on my cheeks, right in front of my ears.

-Ed

May 4, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Was it the sound coming through your headphones, or was it the tube itself making that noise?

EIther way, even with solid state, I use el crappo headphones to test new equipment, with the volume turned all the way down, and the ear pads, on my cheeks, right in front of my ears.

-Ed

the sound came through the right channel in the headphone. it was at high volume and a bit ear-splitting, but i don't it was enough volume to damage the driver, luckily. the drivers sound fine, im listening to them right now.

and thanks for the tip. i learned my lesson

May 5, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 15
Glad your ears and amp are OK.
When I played with tubes I used a variable transformer to control
the input voltage to the amp. I think powerstat was the name (maybe varistat). Very useful to be able to slowly turn up the power and monitor how the amp is behaving. Might not have helped in your case though since you were swapping previously used tubes into a known device so might not have used it.

May 5, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

-Ed

funny, i do the exact same thing.

May 5, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
the sound came through the right channel in the headphone. it was at high volume and a bit ear-splitting, but i don't it was enough volume to damage the driver, luckily. the drivers sound fine, im listening to them right now.

and thanks for the tip. i learned my lesson

That's funny, I just have my roommate try the stuff first.

May 5, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #12 of 15
yes, you're right, i'm realizing my subject line could have been better.

im back to earth now.

thanks everyone.

May 5, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
That's funny, I just have my roommate try the stuff first.

lol
icon10.gif

May 5, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #15 of 15
what happened exactly in the tube?

glass cracked and getter blew? filament hit a grid? runaway plate current?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back