A totally un-unique problem.
Jan 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hybrys

Headphoneus Supremus
How the hell can I get a new, black Cambridge DACMAGIC in BC, Canada? <_<

Edit: Question two, for you masses. I'm trying to standardize all my music to one format (FLAC). Being that I can't find everything for TOTALLY NOT ILLEGAL download, would it be acceptable/offer acceptable quality to take 320 kbps MP3s and convert them to FLAC? Or would I lose quality from that conversion process? I do understand that it won't bring the quality up, I just don't want it to bring it down.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
canuckaudiomart.com

I bought mine off a dealer through this site.

I think I love you.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 12
I love mine! Just so you know
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love mine! Just so you know
biggrin.gif

I've been reading on it for a while now, and it was the one I finally went with. I work in theatres and big setups and huge speaker systems. I can't wait to be able to take my laptop/DACMAGIC into my theatre and crank it up via XLR.

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For question 2 I don't think there's any quality loss, but it's pointless to convert MP3 to FLAC.

I'm well aware it's pointless. I just want to make sure I don't DEGRADE the quality by doing it. I like standardizing my file formats, and I've got multiple terabytes free.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm well aware it's pointless. I just want to make sure I don't DEGRADE the quality by doing it. I like standardizing my file formats, and I've got multiple terabytes free.

It would be a good idea to rip all of your new music directly to flac. I would hesitate to convert your existing mp3's to FLAC because:

1. There is little to no reason at all.
2. You cant quickly tell what is lossless and what is compressed once you convert them all to FLAC.

But in answer to your question.... no. You can do it without much harm.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 12
You can convert them to FLAC without any harm. It's lossless. It'll take everything that is there so it'll sound identical to the normal MP3. I like to keep stuff standardised as well which is why I converted some Tryad that I had to ALAC because they only distribute it in 320k MP3.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 12
There is no harm in converting MP3 to Flac, however I would recommend against it since you will regret it when you'll find yourself wondering which file was originally a Flac or a lower quality mp3.

Even if you tag the comment "MP3 converted of Flac" in the file, an accident could always happen and ... Furthermore, most softwares (foobar in particular have no difficulty managing an organized library made of two file types.

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 12
I think the biggest downside with converting from MP3 to FLAC is that, if you ever want it in MP3 again, the re-conversion will degrade the quality further... Is it so bad to have some MP3's mixed with FLAC's?

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the biggest downside with converting from MP3 to FLAC is that, if you ever want it in MP3 again, the re-conversion will degrade the quality further... Is it so bad to have some MP3's mixed with FLAC's?

I think I'm going to just mix MP3s and FLAC. I just really like organization and standardization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back