A thread for the supermicro 4...??
Jan 11, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #16 of 27
I ended up cancelling my order and ordering a RSA Tomahawk. The wait time, readily available Tomahawk and slight niggly doubts about the durability of the SuperMicro were enough to change my mind.

While I didn't get any answers to my original emails to Xin, he did respond to confirm he'd cancelled my order.

pelayostyle, you've moved up one slot
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #17 of 27
I'm in the same boat Chowk, except I cannot decide between the Hornet or the Tomahawk, since I like to use rechargables instead of alkalines...

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 27
This thread contains very spiteful comments by a few sourpusses and although I know I will get torched, flamed, bombed, and shot at it does not matter since I feel compelled to speak up. What a bunch of wuss we have here! Oh the amp case will crack if you sit on it, oh the amp case has scratches on it, etc.

What the heck do you all want? Some of the ones complaining about looks will post in other threads that sound is all they care about, bullsh**. Bitchi*** is what some of you care about specially if it is by a vendor who does not fit the mold of kissing the buyers rear end.

Yes, Dr. Xin does not answers emails promptly, nor does he posts here or for that matter regularly on his own site. Yes he does not have good customer service as we expect from sellers now days (heck sometimes he has no customer service). But is that the reason you buy hi-fi gear? Heck no, it is the sound. And in that respect it is my opinion that his amps are as good if not better than anything else out there.

By the way when some of you talk about his poor customer service please point me in the direction of another amp manufacturer who says: Send me your old out of warranty amps even if you are not the original owner and I will upgrade it for free. Yes that is the example of poor customer service you are talking about.

Besides the vast majority of those here already know that he is not a great communicator and his amps take a long time to show up (but they do show up) when he is in "development mode". When he is not in development mode it does take 2 to 3 weeks.

So flame away.

Pd: The battery contacts have worked fine in my two Supermacros and in the Supermicro I have on loan.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #20 of 27
It is my supermicro that mrarroyo has on loan and I have dropped it several times and there is no damage to the case. I haven't found it fragile at all.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 27
Most of us aren't bad mouthing Xin at all. He answered my cancellation with swiftness, and refunded my money on the same day, can't ask for better service than that. I just wanted to go a different direction. I noticed in my portable rig, that I put a lot of strain on my equipment, and I need something that can hold up to some abuse, and sound great. The Supermicro IV for all it's pluses, does not fit with what I need right now, especially since I've come up with a portable system that allows me to have bigger amps than the SuperMicro IV.

And yes, time consideration is a concern of mine, but I knew that going in, if you looked at my posts recently about amps, time between order and when I recieve the amp has decided if I got the amp or not in a lot of cases.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #22 of 27
Yeah the micro is a tough little amp, survived me taking it to the gym for over a year, day in and day out - daily abuse - as my go everywhere amp. It is a -III and I did eventually break one of the battery terminals but apparently this issue has been resolved. When the battery terminal broke it was like losing a limb or a loved one. Not even an exaggeration, the sound of the micro is really that sweet! It is unfortunate that one has to wait so long but as those of us who have know, its well worth the wait and then some.

Jan 13, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #23 of 27
I broke the battery contacts on both my supermicro III and supermicro IV (1st generation; no tweaks).

I was very careful with the IV because I was already aware of the problem with the contacts, but I wound up breaking them anyway.

Xin may have upgraded the contact design since I got mine; I don't know.

The problem I experienced was that the copper flashing Xin uses (or used) was bent in order to make contact with the battery. However, the flashing was so thin that over time the flashing would no longer make good contact with the battery, requiring "re-bending" to make good contact.
Rebending quickly led to breakage.

I have always been able to jury-rig a contact to keep it working, and I know I can send it back to Xin for repair. I just can't seem to part with the amp long enough to put it back in the mail.

I also cracked the case on my SuperMicro III, but that was because I sat on it. If you don't do anything stupid like that, no worries about the case.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread contains very spiteful comments by a few sourpusses and although I know I will get torched, flamed, bombed, and shot at it does not matter since I feel compelled to speak up. What a bunch of wuss we have here! Oh the amp case will crack if you sit on it, oh the amp case has scratches on it, etc.

What the heck do you all want? Some of the ones complaining about looks will post in other threads that sound is all they care about, bullsh**. Bitchi*** is what some of you care about specially if it is by a vendor who does not fit the mold of kissing the buyers rear end.

Yes, Dr. Xin does not answers emails promptly, nor does he posts here or for that matter regularly on his own site. Yes he does not have good customer service as we expect from sellers now days (heck sometimes he has no customer service). But is that the reason you buy hi-fi gear? Heck no, it is the sound. And in that respect it is my opinion that his amps are as good if not better than anything else out there.

By the way when some of you talk about his poor customer service please point me in the direction of another amp manufacturer who says: Send me your old out of warranty amps even if you are not the original owner and I will upgrade it for free. Yes that is the example of poor customer service you are talking about.

Besides the vast majority of those here already know that he is not a great communicator and his amps take a long time to show up (but they do show up) when he is in "development mode". When he is not in development mode it does take 2 to 3 weeks.

So flame away.

Pd: The battery contacts have worked fine in my two Supermacros and in the Supermicro I have on loan.

yikes! calm down mrarroyo...there was no spite intended towards xin's product...although i can see how listing what i felt were the minor negatives can be seen as such...i was trying to respond to the poster who mentioned that he was looking for a "pocketable" amp and i took that perhaps too literally...LOL

i would not dump on a product which i have ordered myself...
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 27
I am calm, it just irks me that some vendors here get all kinds of accolades for customer service and not as much for sound. Yes customer service is important but sound is vital, and in sound I find Dr. Xin's products not being bettered.

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #26 of 27
hate to open old wounds here, but mine arrived several weeks ago. i had ordered a mini int he summer, found it too big for me (sic) and sent it back in October or November to be replaced with a supermicro.

it runs my dt880 flawlessly and my dt770 to much louder volumes than without them. in fact, it runes them better than my supermini did when not engaging the highC circuit.

for iems as well, a beautiful product, but xin wrote a cheque to me with a wrong name, so i have to resend and wait again... bummers

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #27 of 27
What if you're never going to be using anything on the SuperMicro more than 150 impedance?

Would it be a good idea to ask the gain to be set lower? Since it doesn't have adjustable gain and can drive large cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back