A Thanks to Xin! My SM3 v3 Upgrade is PERFECT!!!!
Dec 16, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean, "when the V comes out?" We're already on the SM XI....where have you been? You missed it. Still waiting for the SM IV?????? Put that in the vintage collection!!!!!

Haha, at the rate he's going, I wouldn't be surprised.
etysmile.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine today as well. As you stated it sounds much better than before the upgrade and Xin also fixed my battery problem as well. I opened it up and there are several modification. I don't know how he worked on such space constraint board. I see very thin wires by-passing caps and diodes. I must say...he did a great job. He also removed one of the caps and replaced it with something else. I replaced the 2111 opamp with two AD797 opamps and the sound has deep bass, absolutel black background, and great smooth treble extension. What can I say...I am in love with my Supermacro 3V6 all over again.

It took 6 weeks to upgrade...so I guess my supermicro IV I ordered more than 6 weeks should come soon. It starting to be great Christmas
icon10.gif

Glad you are enjoying the SMIIIV6, IMO one heck of an amp when new I can only imagine how much better it is now.
icon10.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #18 of 24
Before Dr. Xin offered to provide free upgrades for SMIIIs to the quasi-SuperMacro IV, I paid to have my SMIII go the whole Monty to a full-fledged SMIV. Wonderful upgrade, well worth it in my mind. Dr. Xin can provide pricing information for those who are interested in going all the way from SMIII to full-tilt SMIV.

I can't comment on how the semi-SMIV soundwise compares to the fully upgraded version, so someone else may be able to chime in on this.

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by djbnh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before Dr. Xin offered to provide free upgrades for SMIIIs to the quasi-SuperMacro IV, I paid to have my SMIII go the whole Monty to a full-fledged SMIV. Wonderful upgrade, well worth it in my mind. Dr. Xin can provide pricing information for those who are interested in going all the way from SMIII to full-tilt SMIV.

I can't comment on how the semi-SMIV soundwise compares to the fully upgraded version, so someone else may be able to chime in on this.

About a month ago I bought a SMIIIv6. Initially I was very impressed, especially with all of the added features. Eventually a short time after recieving another marvel of a portable the SMIIIv6 went to the bench for limited to occassional use.

My desire to get a dedicated desktop here, prompted me to consider selling off my remaining two portable amplifiers, SMIIIv6 and another.

In that time a thread regarding the Portaphile Maxxed here popped up, bringing back memories of that wonderful little amplifier. The thread brought up some comments about the SM, which prompted me to investigate its possibilities.

One thing I could do to make an immediate difference was roll opamps. Rolling opamps was something that, even in thought, I considered to be terrifying. Folks I was petrified; the thought of opening up a +$300 piece of audio equipment. I weighed my options, if I muck it up, then I pay dearly, monitarity and timwise, to get it fixed! If I don't open it up, then, am I doing myself a disservice?

I had the tools and the how to's here. All's left is for me to give it a try and I'm glad that I did.

My SM had a SA5534AP opamp, which is class a biased, I believe because the #6 or 7 pin is removed on both chips. I replaced the 5534 with a couple of 637's opamps, part of the maxxed option I'd acquired in my inital purchase. For good measure I installed the the Maxxed-out option a "$49.99" option that consists of the above 2x opamps 637 and 2x Stacked BUF634 set in Hi-C mode. I was told that with the maxxed out option I could expect a combination of dynamics, bass, body, and clarity--second to none.

Like I said before, I was to scared to even try. I'm kicking myself right now. $49 was a steal; the aforemention combo is exact and then some. I couldn't believe my ears! I know that I wasn't just being a fanboy or overly gratuitous; this amp was up for sale, I had made my choice! This change has me rethinking that choice.

Now, I'm ready for more choices, more options with the SuperMacro III. I'd like to keep the SM in 2x Stacked BUF634 set in Hi-C mode, but I cannot get everything back inside the case with the buffers installed. So right now I'm running the SM without them. This is ok, but I want my x2 buffers back! So I think that I'm going to suck it up and send it in for upgrades, which may be up to (6) weeks! I have a gut feeling that it's more than worth the wait.

Problem is, do I get the upgrades or have the IV conversion done? The setup SMIII-IV upgrades I've considered: 2X stacked buffers (BUF634) in Hi-C mode with OPA637 drains a lot of power, but supposedly because of the use of 8 AAA cells that power up SuperMacro-IV, there should still be plenty of power to get decent 20 hours play per charge (based on standard AAA Ni-MH of 1000 mAh and a full recharge takes only 3.5 hours).

The SMIV has x3 buffer's and will most assuredly sound even better, right? The setup that is the IV want:
imgp2217.jpg

Has anyone done a SMIIIs to the quasi-SuperMacro IV, SMIII to full-fledged SMIV comparison?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 23, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 24
I have both an SM3 (NOT recently upgraded, but "maxed out" as of about a year ago and an SM4 (maxed out and upgraded as of a week ago).

Both are excellent. The main difference is soundstage: if you close your eyes and imagine an orchestra, the SM4 brings you much closer, four or five rows back from the stage, while the SM3 has you about 30 rows back. Along with the greater soundstage, is better delineation of each instrument, not so much the typical solid state "resolution" or "clarity," but an aura of air around the instrument.

The sounstage improvement is especially valuable on Ety 4's, with the music somehow coming from areas outside your head, rather than just between your ears.

I started a thread two weeks ago wondering if Xin was sick or out of business, and my unit arrived several days later. No documentation whatsoever. Nothing. Just some bubble wrap and the unit.

It was worth the wait.

Dec 24, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 24
Thanks for your thoughts; rest assured I am able and willing to wait. I share your notes on the SMIII as well, although the maxxed brought my regular SMIII from 30 row back to 5 rows from the stage. In keeping this analogy going SMIV would bring me where I need to be.
icon10.gif

I am one step more certain that I will probably go for the SMIV upgrade vice mod. However, by simply performing the maxxed mod, I noticed a significant difference soundstage, vocals, clarity instrument separation, detail. This may have been magnified further by the change from the SA5534AP to 637 opamp. This change made the music come across a more fun, toe tapping even get up and dance--eargasm.

I'm 60% sure on want I need to do; however, I'd like to hear more opinions.

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jxb2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both an SM3 (NOT recently upgraded, but "maxed out" as of about a year ago and an SM4 (maxed out and upgraded as of a week ago).

Both are excellent. The main difference is soundstage: if you close your eyes and imagine an orchestra, the SM4 brings you much closer, four or five rows back from the stage, while the SM3 has you about 30 rows back. Along with the greater soundstage, is better delineation of each instrument, not so much the typical solid state "resolution" or "clarity," but an aura of air around the instrument.

The sounstage improvement is especially valuable on Ety 4's, with the music somehow coming from areas outside your head, rather than just between your ears.

I started a thread two weeks ago wondering if Xin was sick or out of business, and my unit arrived several days later. No documentation whatsoever. Nothing. Just some bubble wrap and the unit.

It was worth the wait.

jbx2 - No offense, but why didn't you just have the SMIII upgraded to the IV; from what I've read the III with modification is supposed to be 95% of a IV? Now you have two SuperMacro's, a III modded and Maxxed out and a IV modded and Maxxed out. I'm in a pickle with all the portables that I now own; how benificial is it running two SuperMacro's.

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #23 of 24
Good question, look at the list I have. It offers different flavors. Sometimes you want to be close up and sometimes further back. Sometimes warmer and sometimes cooler. Sometimes more bass impact and sometimes less. Sometimes the treble needs more emphasis and sometimes. . .. .

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #24 of 24
^^^lol; yep, you and me both need to seek counseling.
icon10.gif
I kind of figured variety to be the case. For the collector in me, it would be nice to have an original modded III & IV.

Edit: I love your work, very encapsulating, to say the least!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back