A Thanks to Xin! My SM3 v3 Upgrade is PERFECT!!!!
Dec 14, 2006 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

RockinOut

100+ Head-Fier
A Thank you to Xin! I just go my latest upgraded SM3 V3.

I was originally running NE5534 OBCA, and I loved my amp and had no desire to get anything else.

I sent it in due battery contact issue, and to get latest updates at no charge.

WOW!! What a difference. I haven't even opened it yet, and I don't know what opamp is in it. No need to check. I love the sound:

CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN.
No noise whatsoever.
I use Shure E5c. I used to hear a tiny, tiny bit of hiss, and static when turning the volume knob. Now it's COMPLETELY GONE, and BLACK.

PERFECT.
The sound is just right for me. I'm on about 5 hours burn-in. It's getting better, and better.

The sound is balanced, smooth, non-fatiguing. I couldn't ask for more. Clear, sharp highs with no harshness. Perfect bass with right punch and warmth. Perfect soundstage, not too large, not too narrow, not too forward or rearward. Just right. No need to swap opamps.

Xin gave me a new silver knob and front panel screws. I never liked the look of the knob, but it grew on me. It provides a finer more adjustment, and I like the texture on the knob. Also it gives the amp a more streamlined look and makes it a touch shorter.

No battery problems anymore either.

I'm planning on getting a new Macro LE and a Micro. But no rush at all. I'm so happy to have my upgraded amp back.

Thanks again to Xin.

I hope he always make amps for the public. It's wonderful. And the free upgrades is unbeatable.

The amp is amazing. It's pure joy.

Love the ABC switches on the Macro: I can't live without them.

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 24
RockinOut
Quote:

A Thanks to Xin! My SM3 v3 Upgrade is PERFECT!!!!... I sent it in due battery contact issue, and to get latest updates at no charge.

I just got my Amp back from Xin. Must manufactures don't want to honor warranty repairs. Xin provides free upgrades. He is a first rate engineer and a generous soul.

His amps are little jewels - True Works of art.

Quote:

I'm planning on getting a new Macro LE and a Micro. But no rush at all.

NO RUSH ... Just the way Xin likes it.
wink.gif

The amps manufactured by the Xin Feng Company are some of the finest portable amps in the world.

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 24
JLai asks:
Quote:

How long did it take you from the day you shipped it out?

Forever!

About six weeks to get it and about six weeks for the upgrade.

If a SuperMacro is your only amp, forget it. If you have a backup, this amp is a true work of art.

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 24
RockinOut, so what you now have is the Supermacro IV then right? Since you said you have the 'upgraded SM 3', I didn't know what that means... Oh, and take a look at the opamps inside and let us know what it is!!

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 24
I just got mine today as well. As you stated it sounds much better than before the upgrade and Xin also fixed my battery problem as well. I opened it up and there are several modification. I don't know how he worked on such space constraint board. I see very thin wires by-passing caps and diodes. I must say...he did a great job. He also removed one of the caps and replaced it with something else. I replaced the 2111 opamp with two AD797 opamps and the sound has deep bass, absolutel black background, and great smooth treble extension. What can I say...I am in love with my Supermacro 3V6 all over again.

It took 6 weeks to upgrade...so I guess my supermicro IV I ordered more than 6 weeks should come soon. It starting to be great Christmas
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 24
It's fun to share stuff with other's who appreciate Xin's amps despite the less than perfect wait times and communications with Xin.

Per Xin's site, The SMIII will be upgraded by Xin with 4 channel features. From what I can tell my SM3 doesn't have 4 channel technology, but it gets all the updates I wrote about in the original post. Please see Xin's upgrade thread on fixup.net. It's the first thread.

I would like to tell you about the opamp, but I don't think I'm gonna open it up. It's just too PERFECT for me right now. I've rolled opamps many times, but the SM3 boards are tiny and fragile connected by two wires. I don't want to mess anything up. All I know is that it is blissful, and exactly to my tastes and preferences, and I love the form factor and switches.

For me, it doesn't HAVE to be a IV. I loved it before I sent it in. I just love it even more now.

It took about 4 weeks to get it back. Upgrades are not labor intensive, and I guess he's doing them first. Everyone has their own justified opinions on what customer service is and isn't, and Xin has his own personality and has his own way of selling amps. For me, I don't view it as a "business" even though it is. I view it as just a Cool Guy selling some Cool Stuff. It just so happens that it makes for some Cool Talk. (Go to fixup.net, you'll understand what I mean by "Cool")

When I sent it in, I was expecting 6-20 week turnaround. Even if it was 6-12 months, I'd be fine with it. Why? Because I like his amp, and I understand how he is. I don't think Xin's making a ton of money on these things. He could decide to stop at anytime, and just make them for a few friends here and there.

I like that he CONSTANTLY improves his product. It's not about marketing or customer expectations. It's about striving to build the best possible amp that he is able to and sharing it with us. People have a right to complain and not be happy with the way he runs things. That's understandable. They also have a right to cancel their orders, a right to sell their amp, and a right to share their feelings and experiences with others.

My main reason for my original post is to let owners of older Xin amps how great the amps sound. To me it's vintage. I don't need the latest and greatest. Just because Xin's come up for improvements doesn't mean that a current amp is bad or not worthy. Truly the best strategy is to own more than one amp. One for use and one to be sent in as needed.

Those of us who have in our hands these gems that are masterfully crafted by Xin should feel very lucky as many are still waiting for theirs, and have not yet experienced how neat it can be to own and to talk about these tiny marvels.

Vintage cars, vintage wines, vintage amps. Viva, Vintage (updated) Xin amps and fellow Xin aficionados.

PS When I do order my next amps I'll expect to wait very LOOOOOOOOOONG.

PSS Oh, Bass Boost Switch how I missed thee. Used with my E5c's and Micro DAC, it's like subwoofers strapped to my body. Music I can feel. Just gotta watch my hearing and volume levels. Simple switch, on and off. The bass is insane yet very nice quality. Never could duplicate ease and sound with equalizers.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 24
I know it can be frustrating to pay for something and not have any communications.

One neat thing is that Xin doesn't refer to people as "customers," but as new and old "friends."

He's not perfect. It's just how he is. There are other manufacturers and other individuals selling amps. It just happens that old friends just understand this and put up with it because we are so in enthralled with the amps.

But it would be nice if the new friends wouldn't have to wait so long and without some notice.

Just sharing a thought.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 24
i just hope that xin's amps can get more exposure. we should start a petition for xin to go to the national meet in April. has he ever been to a meet?

but yeah, in terms of those interested in xin amps, you should first place the order with a credit card, then go get yourself another amp for cheap on the FS forum. that should keep your anxiousness about amps down a little during the wait. meditate a little and 2 months later your xin amp will come in.

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but yeah, in terms of those interested in xin amps, you should first place the order with a credit card, then go get yourself another amp for cheap on the FS forum. that should keep your anxiousness about amps down a little during the wait. meditate a little and 2 months later your xin amp will come in.

Ha ha! Exactly what I've done. I ordered a Go-Vibe new, but actually, I like this amp. With my ER-6i, the bass is a bit bloomy and sometimes a bit too much to my liking (imagine that), but then it hasn't been broken in yet.
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 24
i think xin should increase his prices in order to set up a customer service dept. ie, hire an assistant to deal with emails and organization of orders.

i wouldn't mind paying $500 for his supermacros...and $250 for his micros...

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 24
I'm not even gonna begin to imagine how long the wait is gonna be when the V comes out. Imagine all the people with IVs and lower sending them all back and being upgraded + trying to get out a new product. Seems like a downward spiral. The more he sells, the longer the wait is gonna get for subsequent products.

Dec 15, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 24
I am happy with my supermacro and I am happy that he did the repairs for free. that is good and I appreciate him for that.

But to me , 'friend' is an easy way out ... for him anyway, not in my book.

Customer : You have to take care of them in a timely manner, and not say 2 weeks if it is 6 weeks.
Friends : Well ... I do not know what he call a friend. But 'my' friends should not tell me either that it's A, if it is B or C.

Again, I appreciate the supermacro and the free repair fact. But to me, this 'friend thing' is BS, unless one actually 'know' him. Or the word 'friend' is not what is is supposed to be and in his case means more 'acquaintance'.

So .. I understand that as long as people are 'aware' before buying or sending that's fine, and I accept that. But please, let's stop that 'friend' thing.

Lionel, a supermacro III owner

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinOut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it can be frustrating to pay for something and not have any communications.

One neat thing is that Xin doesn't refer to people as "customers," but as new and old "friends."

He's not perfect. It's just how he is. There are other manufacturers and other individuals selling amps. It just happens that old friends just understand this and put up with it because we are so in enthralled with the amps.

But it would be nice if the new friends wouldn't have to wait so long and without some notice.

Just sharing a thought.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not even gonna begin to imagine how long the wait is gonna be when the V comes out.

What do you mean, "when the V comes out?" We're already on the SM XI....where have you been? You missed it. Still waiting for the SM IV?????? Put that in the vintage collection!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back