A THANK YOU! To Head-Fi, and the search for AWESOME SOUND.
Jun 12, 2010 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aephur

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking around the site for reviews and tips on equipment for a while before joining.

I've been bitten by the audio bug way before I found this site, and it sort of runs in my family.
(Grandpa: huge speakers and tube amp/receiver set up on his whole apartment floor...R.I.P.
Dad: loves Surround Sound receivers, and wants to find that same tube amp model his dad once had)

And I love headphones.

This site actually saved me some money, and prevented me from buying the wrong stuff.
As you can see in my sig, my previous equipment was terrible lol..
Although, the first time I took the bite at upgrading my equipment was because of a Bose store.
I started then with MDR-V150 -> MDR-NC6 -> Skullcandy Skullcrushers -> Bose Triports

I got Denon AH-D1001 when my Bose broke. I started looking at forums for equipment recommendations before buying, and found Headroom. That site, although it has good reviews, didn't really have insight on each headphone. More like generic sales talk. But it had lovely reviews for the D1001s.
I bought the Senn HD238 when my Denon AH-1001s right cup had no sound.

I was happy for a while. Then I got an iPod Touch 2G, and wanted to replace the iBuds.
I just sorta browsed around the net to find cheaply priced IEMs, that had good reviews. I found UE Metro.fi 200 for $17 bucks!!!
Then the plug stripped. I glue-gun stabilized it, but I wanted something more durable for portable use, and something I have piece of mind with.

Then I found Head-fi.
  1. Got Koss PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition instead of buying $60 Sony. Now I have awesome portables, I don't think twice throwing in a bag!
  2. PA2V2 portable amp to power my HD238, and control some of the low and high ends of the PortaPro. (wouldn't have considered an amp at all if it weren't for Head-fi)
  3. LOD for iPod Touch 2G. If it weren't for Head-fi, I would  have no knowledge of the existence of such cables)
  4. Repair my Denon AH-D1001 at Ring Audio in Toronto (found in a Head-fi thread. the D1001 would have been scrapped otherwise)
  5. Recently ordered the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for classical music, jazz, and gaming and movies as opposed to buying 5.1 Surround Sound Turtle Beach systems. It'll arrive next week!

All in all, I think as evil as Head-fi is with people's wallets, you guys DO save me alot of cash from buying inferior stuff.

So, I Thank You. For both saving me money,
and feeding my search for AWESOME SOUND.

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 7
lol no worries about that.
I guess I haven't been "trully bitten". I've yet to try out any of the high-end equipment.
Maybe on a meet or something, if there ever will be a meet in Toronto or nearby.

Generally I wouldn't go out and buy new equipment unless I felt I needed to upgrade my current equipment, or as a treat.
So, I use Head-fi as a source of product experience and recommendations from those who've tried them.

The decision to buy upgrade comes before the lust for higher equipment. lol.

I'm generally pretty comfortable with my current equipment, if the AD700 satisfies I mean.

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 7
I Also Welcome YOU to Head-Fi.   Do some research on equipment before you buy! Try out different Headphones, amps and all the rest of the "STUFF" if you can!! Or buy "STUFF" that you can return within 30 days.......Happy listening

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Oh you in trouble now.
biggrin.gif

Fun hobby, good people and serious gear make for quality life.

Welcome to our family and enjoy the journey.

beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Welcome to head-fi

you're gonna love the people, and those instances where you find out you dont know as much and how much you can know, which i found out recently 

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi!
bigsmile_face.gif

Happy to hear that you are enjoying it, and the search for awesome sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back