A tear to my eye...
Nov 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Karl H

100+ Head-Fier
I've finally found a combo that gives me what I've been looking for out of my HD600 cans, headphones I've owned for some time now.

The Head Direct EF1 has been with me for a while now, and it had an edge on the Millet, but it's only today that the gap between the two has been revealed to me.

Last week I upgraded my DAC, opting for the Firestone Audio Fubar with the optional Supplier PSU. I was quite surprised with it, but upgraded it today for the Spitfire.

Foobar with WASAPI playing FLAC, SPDIF out to the Spitfire, through the EF1 and into the HD600s.

Now I understand what the HD600s are all about.

I've read so many comments about them being too warm, sounding veiled etc, but they're not. Right now, they're delivering pleasure in spades, with everything I'm throwing at them. Clarity, precision and attack that I've not heard from them before, yet retaining an almost emotional trait that I can't quite describe. It's beautiful. I was listening to a track earlier, so immersed was I, that when it finished I noticed I had actually shed a tear.

It's been a good few years since music through any hifi has pulled me in like that, and it's a first with headphones.

I have a box of tubes here for the EF1 that I haven't really bothered playing with (currently using an RCA clear top), but I can see me spending some quality time with them in the next few days.

This post is probably a bit pointless, but I just felt it was worth sharing the experience. I've been a music fan for as long as I can remember, and although it doesn't happen often, it's nice when you find that combo that works for your ears, getting you closer to the heart and soul of the music you love.

Happy listening.
smokin3.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 4
I guess this is the kind of experience we are all looking for, and it doesn't happen quite every other day. It makes you feel it was worth all the effort, time & money invested in your pursuit for a beautiful music reproduction. Sometimes you find a component (as I did with my K501) or a combination of components that sounds "right" and you cannot put your finger on it, it's just "right" and then you simply enjoy the music. Seeing somebody reporting this experience made me glad, I'm glad for you even if I don't know you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back