Balanced β22 headphone amplifier

Balanced Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC w/Zapfilter MkII discrete output stage

Heavily modded and balanced AKG K340

Balanced custom woody orthodynamic “Chocolate Donut MkII”

Balanced AKG K240 Sextett

Warrior05 custom Belden Power Cables

Looser101 custom coaxial digital cable

MEET THE NEW KID:

After a little bit of a scare with my FedEx driver delivering my new toy to the wrong address, today I have the unit in hand, and hooked up to my system. The unit I’m speaking of is a HiFiDIY CD Transport built from a kit by our own n_maher. The kit comes from the Chinese Co. HiFiDIY, and is $400.00 shipped. Nate did a fantastic job building this kit. Fit and finish is top notch, and the overall look and feel is that of a unit selling for $3000.00 -$4000.00, not the bargain basement price these units can actually be purchased for. Saying that Nate’s work was top notch is no surprise to many of you who have seen his work, however with the problems he had with customs not securing the parts packaging after opening them for inspection, and several small fasteners falling out of the box in transit, it’s amazing he was able to sort it out so well. There was no bill of materials, so figuring out what was there, and what was missing must have been an exhausting endeavor. The instructions left a lot to be desired as well, and this is all documented in this thread…

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/cd-...-heard-250864/

I had been eyeing this transport since seeing it on the HiFiDIY web site. Once I discovered Nate was selling his I was disappointed that the timing just wasn’t conducive to me purchasing it from him. Then later Thrice put the same unit up for sale, and again the timing was bad.

Last week I put my custom DT990s up for sale, and listed that I’d be interested in a few headphone trades, but that I didn’t need any other gear. Well the first reply I received offered a trade for a CD transport, and I was ready to reply in the negative when I read further that the transport was built by n_maher. I figured it was kismet, and after a few back and forths, we had secured a trade.

THE COMPETITION:

I already own a quite well thought of CD Transport called the “Lambda”, built by PS Audio. This unit was discontinued some years back, but has somewhat of a cult following. The unit originally retailed for about $2,200.00. The Lambda is known to outperform many more expensive transports. The only issue they had was the tray gear that wore out after time. Mine has been replaced with a lifetime gear, as have many Lambdas still in service. I’ve been quite impressed with the Lambda, and had no real need to replace it, but something about the HiFiDIY unit just got my taste buds salivating, so I decided to try it out.

BUILD QUALITY:

Both units are quite solid in construction. The Lambda has a 5/16” faceplate milled of solid billet aluminum, and a one piece steal cover. At 17” wide, 15 ¼” deep and 3” tall, it’s a large unit, deeper than even my PS Audio PCA-2 preamp. The HiFiDIY transport is about half the footprint of the Lambda at 10” wide, 14”deep and 3” tall. It’s a top loading unit, where the Lambda is a more traditional drawer loading unit. It has a faceplate ¼” thick, and also milled of solid billet aluminum. Where the Lambda has a steal cover however, the HiFiDIY uses solid aluminum slabs to make up all the panels of the chassis, most of which are over 1/8” thick. Both units are heavyweights weighing in at over 20lbs. Both units impart a sense of quality, and both are rather handsome.

LISTENING:

I’ve had no trouble proclaiming the Lambda the clear winner over many less note worthy transports I’ve tested it against. It just seems to do everything better, dynamics, imaging, bass and that overall elusive quality of musicality.
I put both units through their paces with a broad range of CDs, and try as I might I just couldn’t find any audible differences. I thought for a moment that I heard a very slight addition of bass authority on Michael Buble’s “Summer Wind” with the HiFiDIY, but after several more auditions I came to the conclusion that they were actually quite equal.

That leaves me with a rather boring conclusion to my review, but also a very nice one. As I’ve stated the Lambda has surpassed many players costing several thousands of dollars.

So it’s time to find another new home for the HiFiDIY unit you say, well not so quickly. The overall solid aluminum look of the HiFiDIY is very appealing to me. Also the fact that it’s 1 ¼” shorter makes it easier to move my rack closer to the wall once the fat, stiff power cords I use are in place. The remote for the HiFiDIY is milled from a solid piece of aluminum, and I find it to be much smaller and more comfortable than the Philips touch screen universal remote I use for the Lambda, since the Lambda remote was lost before I purchased the unit. On a side note, I did notice that the remote for the HiFiDIY also controls every function on the Lambda. I imagine they sourced a similar transport for the HiFiDIY (this could also be the reason I found virtually no difference in SQ between the two units). If it’s possible to order a replacement remote from HiFiDIY, this could be good news for Lambda owners who’ve lost their remote along the way.

So I’ve decided to keep the HiFiDIY transport. It just looks the business, and the smaller form factor looks good with my other equipment. The top loading design also means there’s less moving parts to wear out.

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 20
Yeah, those Lambda's were good. It seems like the art of redbook transport making continues to decline as everyone is using cheap CD Rom drives or DVD drives nowadays.

If the only redbook transport you've been using is mass-market DVD players, switching to a good CD-only transport like Lambda can be an ear-opening experience. I slightly prefer the very-similar Theta Data Basic transport during those days.

Then you had the really great-sounding transports, like my expired Micromega Trio. Simply wondrous sound quality, but the transport mechanism died and no longer available.

micromegatriomk2ov7.jpg

I still have this thing in my closet. Anyone have a spare Philips CDM9 Pro transport mechanism handy?

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 20
I really liked the HiFiDIY transport when Nate still had it. It certainly has a quality look feel to it and it performed flawlessly. Good to hear you're enjoying it.

Jan 6, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #5 of 20
Those transports are pretty. It's interesting that you concluded that they sound the same through your DAC - it's something that I've suspected for a while. I'm not sure how different transports would sound different through a decently jitter-resistant DAC...

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those transports are pretty. It's interesting that you concluded that they sound the same through your DAC - it's something that I've suspected for a while. I'm not sure how different transports would sound different through a decently jitter-resistant DAC...

Oh I have several inexpensive CD players and DVD players around here that I've tried out, and the Lambda was vastly superior in every way. Even in most higher end transports I usually notice some differences.
I'm really wondering if the HiFiDIY uses the same or a very similar transport mechanism. The fact that the remote works with both really makes me think that's the case. I believe strongly that the transport is almost as important as the DAC, though I'm sure many will disagree. I doubt those have heard a good transport though, because the differences are quite noticeable.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 20
I don't see why any bit-perfect transport would sound different...

Anyway, that thing is gorgeous. If I hadn't ripped all my CD's and stored them away, I would probably have gotten one of these.

Ah, well, heh.

Jan 6, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see why any bit-perfect transport would sound different...

It's quite simple really. Had you been brought up in the turntable age it would be easier to understand. But basically the transport mechanism itself, the motor and the way it's isolated from the unit will have a large effect on SQ.
However I'm not going to go into all that right now. I'm sure there are many who will believe all bit perfect spinners will be essentially the same.

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 20
Ok, now you've done it - my whole design goal with the FrankenMaxx was to use a cheap transport with the Opus / Millett beast - if the transport makes such a difference, well, something of gravitas will just have to wait... damnit.

Steve, have you heard the SHANLING PCD300A? I am so looking at either of these options... or something a bit better... GAS strikes again.

Pecuniary emulation.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But basically the transport mechanism itself, the motor and the way it's isolated from the unit will have a large effect on SQ.

Yeah, but the motors are much higher quality in modern CD players than they were in turntables - also, they have much less mass to spin. In any event, most disk players have buffers and error correction of some sort to compensate for vibration, speed variations, etc. The more expensive transports seem to be built like aluminum tanks, with redundant power supply awesomeness to boot.

I think that well-designed transports should mostly sound the same. However, I try to keep an open mind about these things, since there's obviously a lot more to hi-fi than can be measured... I answered that question my own way by shopping for and buying a one-box source.

Regarding Duggeh's contribution: I'd hit it, multiple times, in interesting combinations.

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most disk players have buffers and error correction of some sort to compensate for vibration, speed variations, etc. The more expensive transports seem to be built like aluminum tanks, with redundant power supply awesomeness to boot.

What's amazing is despite all that effort, even very expensive transports clearly change their sound significantly with something as simple as footer change.

In a speaker system, all one has to is swap among squishy feet (i.e. sorbathane), hard cones, and say roller bearing types to *cleary* hear their signatures, unmistakably, unambiguously, and painfully. Even levitating transport/CDP's on air/bladders, springs, etc all have their own sound signatures. It can be maddening, but fortunately, much less audible in headphone systems IME.

Jan 6, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, now you've done it - my whole design goal with the FrankenMaxx was to use a cheap transport with the Opus / Millett beast - if the transport makes such a difference, well, something of gravitas will just have to wait... damnit.

Steve, have you heard the SHANLING PCD300A? I am so looking at either of these options... or something a bit better... GAS strikes again.

Pecuniary emulation.

Al, Don't do anything before the meet. I'll be bringing both transports, and we can try lots of others there. I'll bring a cheap DVD player as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back