A tale of two Modi 2 Multibits
May 10, 2018 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CardinalBlood

Head-Fier
I own two Modi2 multiibit DACs and they are,well, different. Here are the external differences I've noted :
  1. conical rubber feet versus foam disks
  2. Brushed pattern, stiff button versus loose button with Connecticut circle pattern.
  3. Black USB port versus white USB port
  4. 365.5g versus 367.5g
  5. Long model name sticker with multiibit written out versus short model name Ending in an MBA..
  6. Smooth printing versus printing with a semi brushed pattern.
  7. Different screw patterns -- fearson versus Philips
  8. One feels ight and solid while the other seems loose and jiggly.
  9. Lastly, they sound different.
Has anyone else experienced this? Did they release a modi 2.1 model? Is it common for Schiit to substitute parts? Will I find different components inside the case? I am guessing that they buy components in bulk and when they run out, they buy the most economical "equivalent" components but don't always sound the same.

Anyone encounter this before? Is it common and expected?

May 11, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 11
Do they sound different? That would be my main issue......

My Modi 2U is solid with zero rattles or loose func button. Finish is even etc.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 11
I have a horrible ear -- I'm more of a tech head than an audiophile -- but I believe I can detect a slight difference in character. Neither is "bad", just one is warmer (the higher serial number) and the other more analytical (lower serial number). I may pop open the lids and see if I can find any differences, but I'd rather hear from Schiit first -- Who knows what I'd find in there.

May 12, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 11
It does seem like there are silent revisions. It's also common in any manufacturing industry to use same spec parts from different factories. I think Schiit won't say if there was a silent revision but they have mentioned before the same spec parts come from different suppliers.

May 13, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 11
Just curious, did you buy both of them new from Schiit?

May 13, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Jason did state in the thread (around the Magni 3 release) that they would gradually begin to switch the little Schiits over to the nicer chassis. I believe the Modi 2 was updated coincidently with the Magni 3, in fact.

Doesn't surprise me that other facets of the construction have been improved as well. They've been making some strides in their own manufacturing process. Pretty cool, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back