A Tale of Three Audio Systems (Help Me Choose)
Apr 7, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 5

[size=12.0pt]Hello all,[/size]
[size=12.0pt]I have recently been on the hunt for a new 2.1 system to use with my personal computer.  This computer is used for gaming however the majority of the time it will be used for music listening.  I currently use Windows Media Player with 320K Mp3s and run an optical out to a Maverick Tube Magic D1 DAC.  I am using a set of Sennheiser headphones with the Maverick until a new speaker setup can be found.  I mainly listen to death metal, doom metal, and funeral doom metal but also enjoy Brit Pop such as The Smiths.  The computer is located in an office that is approximately 12 x 12 feet so I do not need earsplitting sound pressure levels.  I do however want clean, accurate, and full reproduction of sound.  This will be a near field setup.[/size]
[size=12.0pt]After a lot of reading in these forums I have narrowed the decision down to three systems.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]The first:[/size]
[size=12pt]Swans M50W $279[/size]

[size=12.0pt]I think that this system looks very nice and would be less intrusive on my desktop.  The hockey puck volume control could simply be put on top of my DAC.  No extra amps or wiring on my desk.  My only concern is the small 3 inch midrange and 6 1/2 inch woofer.  I have read a positive review on another hifi forum, however there does not seem to be much information out there on this system.  Will my music be satisfied?[/size]

[size=12.0pt]The second:  [/size]
[size=12.0pt]Polk Audio T15s                    $105 pair[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Polk Audio  PSW10 Sub       $99[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Audioengine N22 Amp          $199  Total approx. $410[/size]
[size=12.0pt] [/size]
[size=12.0pt]I believe that this system will give me better sound with the larger subwoofer and midrange drivers.  The only thing that is a concern is the additional amp and wires will take up more space on my desk.  I guess that it is worth it if it means a higher sound quality.  Will the higher cost mean a huge improvement in sound?[/size]

[size=12.0pt]The third:        [/size]
[size=12.0pt]Audioengine A5         $349[/size]
[size=12.0pt]Audioengine S8          $349  Total approx. $700[/size]
[size=12.0pt] [/size]
[size=12.0pt]The A5s have great reviews and seemed to be loved by many in this forum.  The system is also more than double the price of the M50s and much costlier than the second choice.  If I went with this setup I would probably purchase the sub at a later time after my wallet recuperates.  Are the A5s that much of a step up from the Polk T15s?[/size]
[size=12.0pt] [/size]
[size=12.0pt]Any recommendations or ideas would be appreciated.[/size]
[size=12.0pt] [/size]

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 5
also interested in the Swans M50W, as computer speakers, but like you not seen much in the way of reviews or personal experience with them, and not able to audition them anywhere near here, comments appreciated
smile_phones.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Your get the most for your money with the second set-up, you should spend more on the speakers though and maybe not worry about the sub til later or get a cheaper amp, good bookshelfs I recommend are the monitor audios bx2 or alesis m1 mk2's , I think the monitor audios bx2 will be better with metal as they have a crisper puncher sound compared to the alesis's , the alesis have a better soundstage and stereo imaging. I don't think the monitor audios bx2  would be good with gaming though they are definitely made for music and not gaming, the alesis's however do handle gaming excellently, there big airer clear netureul sound does emerse you in the game which is what you want from a gaming system, they are loads of bookshelfs and amps to choose from though you should listen to some before choosing which 1's to buy.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back