A Strange KSC-35 Problem; maybe in the cable?
Oct 16, 2004 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

flamingantichimp

Head-Fier
Ah, thanks for the help in advance.

My two month or so old KSC-35's have had this continual problem of not playing sound on the left ear. If I wiggle the cord around some, tighten the connection, I can usually get it playing correctly again.

However, what use to be a minor, maybe once-a-day annoyance has became a much more serious problem. There's just no sound in the left, normally, and I have to spend a couple of minutes playing with the cord (playing with it close to the end, like, when the two things are together). Then, even if it does start playing correctly, if I move my iPod or the headphones much, it goes back to silent on the left.

When I bought new pads for it, I cleaned out both drivers with a vaccum cleaner which I'll do again, but the idea that messing with the cord seems to suggest the problem is infact with the cord. Of course, Koss's strangeness on return policy makes me hesitant to claim the warranty.

Thanks, again, if anyone can offer any help. I've spent about 30 minutes searching the forums for any similar problems, but, I can't seem to find it.

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingantichimp
Ah, thanks for the help in advance.

My two month or so old KSC-35's have had this continual problem of not playing sound on the left ear. If I wiggle the cord around some, tighten the connection, I can usually get it playing correctly again.

However, what use to be a minor, maybe once-a-day annoyance has became a much more serious problem. There's just no sound in the left, normally, and I have to spend a couple of minutes playing with the cord (playing with it close to the end, like, when the two things are together). Then, even if it does start playing correctly, if I move my iPod or the headphones much, it goes back to silent on the left.

When I bought new pads for it, I cleaned out both drivers with a vaccum cleaner which I'll do again, but the idea that messing with the cord seems to suggest the problem is infact with the cord. Of course, Koss's strangeness on return policy makes me hesitant to claim the warranty.

Thanks, again, if anyone can offer any help. I've spent about 30 minutes searching the forums for any similar problems, but, I can't seem to find it.

it sounds like the wire connected to the driver might be partially severed or is partly disconnected from the driver's terminals.don't worry about koss.just return them with 6 dollars and they will give you a new pair "no questions asked."
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 21
My KSC-35 have the same cable problem. It's not quite so bad as yours yet. I think the problem is a bad connection developing in the plug. The best bet is probably just to replace the plug with a nice Neutrik plug. I'll do that with mine one of these days.

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
My KSC-35 have the same cable problem. It's not quite so bad as yours yet. I think the problem is a bad connection developing in the plug. The best bet is probably just to replace the plug with a nice Neutrik plug. I'll do that with mine one of these days.

These Neutrik plugs you speak of, where do you get them and are they expensive?

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 21
Whats the trick to soldering the color coated wires? When you strip the outside coating off some headphones there are green, red and gold colored wire. There is a thin coating on the wire that give it the color. You cant solder directly to this. I was wondering if there was any trick to get the coating off so you can solder it easier.

What i have been doing is scrape the wire with a blade and sometimes ill use a lighter and heat the coating off. Its still hard to get the solder to stick to the wires.

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #14 of 21
Here's the relevant excerpt from that page:

Why can't I splice/solder/repair headphone cords from Sony (and some other brands)?

The wires in Sony headphone cords are insulated with a lacquer coating, which must be removed to make an electrical connection. Most low-wattage soldering irons are NOT hot enough to vaporize the coating. Here are some options:

o Dip the wires in alcohol and ignite with a match. The ignited alcohol should burn off the insulation. (Note: I have received email that merely heating the wires with a match or cigarette lighter (without any alcohol) works equally well.)
o Put the wires on an aspirin tablet and apply a soldering iron to the wire and aspirin until the aspirin melts. Aspirin is an acid that should dissolve the insulation.
o Try a high voltage soldering iron if available which will burn off the insulation while soldering
o Use a pocket knife to gently scrape off the insulation
o Dip the wires with a lacquer solvent until the coating dissolves

With any method involving a solvent, make sure there is adequate ventilation and avoid inhaling any vapors released by the process. After burning or dissolving the insulation, wipe the wires clean of any residue before soldering.

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingantichimp
Of course, Koss's strangeness on return policy makes me hesitant to claim the warranty.

I never heard any but good thing from Koss lifetime warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back