A sony Walkman review (D-NE270)
Aug 25, 2005 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

South_Korean

1000+ Head-Fier
this was a gift from my parents. but i wont say goodbye to the zen micro dream.

the D-ne270 is the older model of the 275 and was cheaper for my parents
rolleyes.gif
(my mom is always looking for deals). anyways, been fooling around with it for a few hours, and so far its turning out to be a pretty nice PCDP. although its not one of those high end ones you guys would prefer to keep, its not bad to me. it has a search function which will help search through 490 songs on a disc or see whats next. you can search by folders as well. not many feature though, no EQ settings, no line-out, 3 line dot-matrix.i really like the design, nice and simple with a gun metal grey colour on the face. havent tested batt life yet. the sound is waaaay better (to me) than an ipod. even with no presets, the bass was very present but not overwhelming, and the overall sound was good, the highs werent sharp, the mids were smooth.

I now know why you guys hate sonicstage so much.... im gona cry, the software itself took and hour and a half to install. i cant wait to see how long itll take to burn a disc with all my music (well most). anyways, this was meant to be a short review, will post more after i play with it a bit more though.

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 19
gah.... sonicstage. do you HAVE to convert everything to ATRAC3PLUS to fit all 490 songs? omg this is a painful waiting proccess. how do you guys deal with this.

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 19
all i have is nero enterprise. ive tried making an MP3 CD with that, how many songs will that get you on a CD?

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 19
That's a pretty nice looking cdp, SK. Where did your parents even find it? If you go mp3, you'll probably get like 100-200 songs on a cd. Not bad, so stock up on the cheapest cdrs you can find.

Btw WinXP has a built-in burning utility. Just open the blank cdr in Win Explorer and drag-n-drop your mp3s onto it. I can't vouch for stability/speed though.

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 19
lol thanks gshan, it does look cool. my mom brought me to a sony retailer and i got the last one (it was on display). but i still got the warranty and everything.
i will try the different method after, its 1:36am and im tired lol, i dont wanna start transfering 200 songs right now. plus, my atrac burning failed. i think i did it wrong. am i supposed to convert everything to an atrac form? i guess so. i only converted random ones and saw that when i transfered them, it didnt make a difference in the amount of space it took up on the CD so i stopped. im waiting for all my music to be converted now though. it was such a pain to wait all that time to find out that it didnt work. oh well.

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
this was a gift from my parents. but i wont say goodbye to the zen micro dream.

the D-ne270 is the older model of the 275 and was cheaper for my parents
rolleyes.gif
(my mom is always looking for deals).

Pictures of said item?!?!?!?

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
lol thanks gshan, it does look cool. my mom brought me to a sony retailer and i got the last one (it was on display). but i still got the warranty and everything.
i will try the different method after, its 1:36am and im tired lol, i dont wanna start transfering 200 songs right now. plus, my atrac burning failed. i think i did it wrong. am i supposed to convert everything to an atrac form? i guess so. i only converted random ones and saw that when i transfered them, it didnt make a difference in the amount of space it took up on the CD so i stopped. im waiting for all my music to be converted now though. it was such a pain to wait all that time to find out that it didnt work. oh well.

I'm guessing that you're using SonicStage to convert to atrac and burn the song to the cd at the same time? What version of SS are you using? With all versions of SS before 3.2, my Atrac conversion would fail randomly. Upgrade to 3.2 when possible. (http://www.connect.com)

--
kaotic: http://www.cifrovik.ru/cifrovik/serv...to-extra-1.jpg

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 19
The D-NE 270 plays mp3s. If you have a bunch of mp3s, then there's NO need to use sonicstage and no need to convert them. Use Nero and create a data cd with a bunch of mp3s on them. The pcdp will recognize the mp3s and the folders.

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by notnormal
The D-NE 270 plays mp3s. If you have a bunch of mp3s, then there's NO need to use sonicstage and no need to convert them. Use Nero and create a data cd with a bunch of mp3s on them. The pcdp will recognize the mp3s and the folders.

oops lmao...

currently upgrading... it took me to 3AM in the morning.... dad made me go to bed lol. oh well, lets start all over again.

Aug 26, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 19
more stuff: theres a beeping while paused so i guess it will remind you that you left it like that. theres also a beep when changing songs, kind of annoying at times when using speakers. it takes a long time to read the disc before playing and make a loud spinning noise from the motor that spins the disc. but the display is great. not backlit but what do you expect from this little budget player. you have a choice of just the title scrolling by, just the time and track number or both, with the title scrolling on top, track number and time on bottom.theres a battery meter with four bars. this thing takes 2 AA batts, and i expect it to last for quite a while. i will test it tomorrow while im at work.

Aug 26, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 19
yepp, i actually decided to read the manual and found that out, thanks though!

you can even mark the order of the songs YOU want them to be played in. this would be really painful to do since the screen is so small and can read one song title at a time. plus going through an entire CD of a few hundred songs would take a while.

Aug 26, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #15 of 19
For the record, the D-NE270 is of the very same generation as the D-NE300, D-NE500, D-NE900 and D-NE10 series. AFAIK the D-NE270 is a Canadian-specific version of the D-NE300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back