A Solution For Those Looking To Equalize Their Audio
Aug 25, 2016 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

StarTreker

500+ Head-Fier
Those who know me here know that I recently bought a sweet pair of JVC headphones, along with a Fiio amp to power them. I've been listening to them through my computer and have been running on a corrupted Windows OS for the better part of a year. I tried to fix my Windows installation with a re-install, but because my computer is a notebook, it requires special drivers at setup, and apparently in Windows 7 time period, Microsoft couldn't figure out how to put them drivers on their install, so I had no way of acquiring them for setup so a reinstall was bust.

After so many BSOD's, exceptions, program hangs and crashes I said, thats it! I switched to Linux people, yes you hear me right, I left Windows for Linux, specifically Zorin Linux lol. So far Linux has been a far improvement to system stability, however, it lacks certain components in which we all take for granted on windows, like a system wide equalizer that can adjust frequencies globally, so you don't have to have equalizer plugins for every single program, in which you want to change the sound on.

I discovered PulseAudio, but trust me you don't want that. It might be a linux based system wide equalizer, but as soon as you raise any of the frequency sliders, you get really bad distortion. And I think this is because PulseAudio tends to raise the gain volume along with the frequency, and without a preamp/gain slider that you can drop down, the software is useless. So if you've switched to Linux like I did and are pulling your hair out wishing you hadn't now, maybe this solution can be the answer for you.

Currently, my setup is like this. Notebook connected to TV via HDMI, audio is patched through HDMI. Audio comes out of TV through a optical digital cable into a Fiio DAC, which converts the digital signal to RCA anolog. RCA connects from the converter to my speaker system, and my headphone are plugged into the speaker system headphone jack, which is then patched through my Fiio Amp, and then my headphones plug into the amp. I know, thats a big setup, but all cables are high end, so quality degradation in sound is not an issue.

What you want to do is get yourself an external equalizer, and you want one with at least 10 bands or more. Getting those brand new today will cost you several hundred dollars, so its better to buy one used. And even better to buy one used that is Vintage made in Japan, which is of a higher quality then most electronics you can buy today! I just ordered the Realistic 31-2010 12 band equalizer off of ebay for 45 bucks, which is a steal because I am sure the unit cost 300 when it was new back in the day. I also purchased a 6 foot high end RCA Monoprice cable.

If you have a setup anything at all similar to mine, then what you want to do is run a RCA cable from the output of your DAC converter box, to the equalizer's input on the back. Then run another RCA cable from the equalizer's output connection, to your speaker system's input. You might be wondering why I am going through such a long path for my audio setup just for my notebook. Well, by connecting it up this way through the TV's audio output, it allows me to not only equalize the sound from my computer, but my Xbox360, my blueray player, and my tablet. As I have all those audio sources patched into the TV. So it just makes logical sense to set it up that way, so I can equalize any source coming through the TV's output.

I can't wait till my equalizer gets here, I really need to get my sound enhanced! lol

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 8
I just wanted to show you all my dedication to this project. So, I have a desk that I used for like 14-years. But when I got my LG 47-inch TV and a luxury couch, well, lets just say the desk is now a place to store all of my Sh** lol. Infact, the only place on that desk that was free was the keyboard tray, I figured I could use that spot to place my new equalizer when it gets here. But when I measured the distance between the tray and the top of the desk, came out to 3-inches, I thought that has got to be too tight.

So what did I do? Well I broke out my handy dandy Milwaukee impact driver (My Favorite Power Tool) and went to town on that SOB. If you look at the picture, I drew marks where the tray used to be, and you can see where it is now, its measured to be 6-inches from the top of the tray, to the top of the desk. I can use it like a shelf now, and I am sure this space can accommodate a receiver unit now too. FYI, couch is to left of picture and tv is on the wall to the right .

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 8
  I just wanted to show you all my dedication to this project. So, I have a desk that I used for like 14-years. But when I got my LG 47-inch TV and a luxury couch, well, lets just say the desk is now a place to store all of my Sh** lol. Infact, the only place on that desk that was free was the keyboard tray, I figured I could use that spot to place my new equalizer when it gets here. But when I measured the distance between the tray and the top of the desk, came out to 3-inches, I thought that has got to be too tight.

So what did I do? Well I broke out my handy dandy Milwaukee impact driver (My Favorite Power Tool) and went to town on that SOB. If you look at the picture, I drew marks where the tray used to be, and you can see where it is now, its measured to be 6-inches from the top of the tray, to the top of the desk. I can use it like a shelf now, and I am sure this space can accommodate a receiver unit now too. FYI, couch is to left of picture and tv is on the wall to the right .

Cool!
Pimp that EQ desk out!

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm back, sorry for the long wait, the ebay seller decided to take a week to ship, so it didn't get here till 2-weeks later ugg. The good news however, is that they did an amazing job packaging the equalizer, it was wrapped in two layers of quality bubble wrap, which was placed inside a box and taped to it so it wouldn't move around, and then that box was placed inside another box, loaded with tape all over it! I will give this seller a F for shipping and handling time, but an A for packaging. lol There were actually quite a few sellers who were selling this exact same unit, different prices of course but also different conditions. This seller had the unit in the best condition for the best price I could find. And when it arrived, I was so pleased in how clean it was.

I opened it up to get a look inside, since the unit doesn't have any vent holes, dust never really had a chance to get inside, so no blowing out was necessary. Some of the sliders however, most noticeable in the gain sliders, were a bit on the scratchy side, not surprising due to its age. If you have a piece of audio equipment which uses pot-meters, sliders, switches, and or buttons, and they sound scratchy, crackly, or down right loosing a channel all together, then you want to pickup a can of Deoxit. Its expensive stuff, but its a cleaner and a lubricator, and its safe to use on electronics. Do not use products like WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB-Blaster, they are petroleum based lubricants and will eat away at your plastic switches and pot-meters till there nothing but a pile of goo, seriously, don't do it, use Deoxit.

While a can of this stuff is expensive, it actually goes a long way, you can probably service 20 machines with a can of this stuff before you run out. With pot-meters, there will be a tiny hole that will either be visible on the top, sides, or bottom, this is of course on the inside of the unit, and all you gotta do is put the tube up to the hole and spray for half a second, thats all you need, and then move the meter all the way left and right at least 10-times and your done. There is usually 2 things that will cause issues with age, dust, and corrosion/oxidation, and this stuff cleans and lubricates them back to new again, pretty awesome stuff!

I buy nothing but high end audio cables these days, because I am tired of dealing with the cheapo stuff that won't last, or have improper shielding causing interference to be heard. When it comes to RCA cables, I really like Monoprice, they are usually copper core, have two sheets of shielding, a thick insulator jacket, and gold plated connections, these are what I am using going in and out of the equalizer unit.  Don't ask me how I can get them for only 5 dollars a cable though, I think they should be worth at least 15 a cable myself but I aint complaining lol.

For those who are not in the know, Realistic was a brand made in Korea and sold in Radioshack stores across the nation. And for those who were born too late to know what Radioshack is, Radioshack was a brick and mortar store location where you could go to buy just about anything electronic, but they were most well known as your go to store for audio equipment, cables, and adapters. Unfortunately, due to corporate mismanagement of the company franchise, the company started going under 16 years ago, and was completely gone by 2014 in most locations throughout the country. But we have Amazon and Ebay now so ya lol. While there were other major players in the market such as Pioneer, Kennwood, and Marantz, Realistic helled its own and fit a nitch for those who were on a budget.

This is a 12-band equalizer, for both left and right channel, with gain controls, and a stereo enhancer. I am sure many of you including myself, wondered what that stereo enhancer did, its a weird thing. I think what its doing is dynamically playing with the gain in the seperation of both channels to give off a wider field effect. I personally didn't sense any real enhancement, if anything if you turn it up all the way you just get distortion. Maybe it depends on the song your listening to IDK.  I have the 30 hertz and 60 hertz range sliders turned up +10DB, and I have the 9K and 16K sliders turned up to +6DB. Holy crap does she have some power, must be because of that good sized transformer inside there that I saw that heats up the box a little hehe.

For those wondering, oh ya, at those EQ settings, you gotta drop the gain real low, as in -10DB lol. Oh and this EQ box has improved the stereo seperation. One bad thing about the Fiio A3 amp is, at its lowest volume, it tends to serve the left channel more before you hear the right channel, the EQ does something to help lesson that a bit so A+ for Realistic! I really would like to get a DAC at some point though, cause the sound out of a notebook is only so good. So a recap of my current setup. Notebook audio going through TV through HDMI, that runs into a Fiio digital to audio converter box, which then ouputs into my equalizer through a freaking awesome cable, then outputs to my speaker system.

When I want to listen to headphones instead of my speakers. I plug my Fiio A3 amp into my speaker system's headphone jack via a high end Griffin cable.

And my JVC HA-SZ1000 headphones are plugged into the Fiio A3 amp. I gotta say, when it comes to serious bass, nothing feeds my lust for bass power more, then a freaking awesome amplified equalizer and a headphone amp, I was totally blown away at how amazing it sounded. And I know the caps inside the unit are still good, because if any of them were bad, I'd hear a hum from the audio, which is basically a ground loop situation, but no hum, no hiss, pure clean there auda be a law against it, POWER! Alright, I think you guys have been waiting long enough to see a few pictures of my new EQ. It took a century to write this post, now I can breath LOL!

Wish the site wouldn't degrade the resolution so bad when I link to these but oh well...

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 8
I was playing around with my EQ some more and realized that these settings open up my JVC HA-SZ1000 cans the best. It helps to bring out those vocals better, which you really need since these cans are closed backs.
L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 8
  I was playing around with my EQ some more and realized that these settings open up my JVC HA-SZ1000 cans the best. It helps to bring out those vocals better, which you really need since these cans are closed backs.
L3000.gif

Cool!

I did a custom theme for FiiO X5 and used a pic of that exact unit and didn't realize it until you posted this pic. Classic EQ. Glad the seller didn't f you over and you got your rig.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Since the seller had a 100% rating, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that it was working. The thing I was really concerned with, was weather or not the caps were still good because of its age. I couldn't be more pleased to be honest with you. I realize that people can't use one of these if they are on the go, but if their a in home listener, then this would probably be the best solution for most people.

BTW, I saw your latest video on them Sony's, those were some high marks you were giving them, hopefully one day I have a chance to try them out. I am sure those cans give you the best balance between bass and highs, hence better sound stage being open backs and all. That Sony DAC however is just far too big IMO to be considered portable though, its huge! lol How much does it make your phone weigh extra? You definitely couldn't fit it in a pants pocket.

And my new EQ pushes my new cans really hard, they EQ well but do have their limits. I've been told that the 2000's can be eq'd even more. But honestly, hearing the sound that my 1000's push out, I don't think I need the 2000's anytime soon is all I am sayin lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back