a small head-fier needs help on a HUGE decision
Nov 27, 2005 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

TheReds

100+ Head-Fier
A 15 year old high school student + a membership to Head-fi = a kid wanting more than he could ever get....

My big purchase of this year has been my HF-1's something that i saved up for many a moons (lol). My source though...hmmm, one might say its a little lacking. A gaming rig filled with burned albums in FLAC, sending the musical goodness through the analog out of an Audigy ZS 2, to my HF-1's, and finally to my head.

But alas, there is christmas! a time of gift giving (and other religious practices). With the holidays coming coming up, it is time for me to make a list some would like to call a "wish list", and this christmas i am hoping santa will bring me a DAC. Which one, i have an idea, but i do not know.

Before i revealed the fact that i wanted an Apogee Mini DAC to the father figure, i took a moment to pause and ponder upon what i am really asking for. Because this is a purchase that will have to last me a looooong time, satisfy all my audiophile needs, make my HF-1's sing *or thump, and make me say "this is worth every penny my father spent", did i really do all my research and come to my conclusion?

The fact is i need a DAC with USB, no more expensive than 1100 (this would be the most expensive present besides my computer...EVER), it has to play nice with my HF-1's, and have some sort of amp built in because i will be ampless until.......
rolleyes.gif
.........my birthday (august).

So i post here today, not only as a 15 year old with expensive hobbies, but as one of your own seeking help. Anyone who has info on DAC's (with USB) that are coming out somewhat soon that could put an Apogee to shame tell me now. Anyone who has info on some incredible DAC that has meets my requirements and has not been run through my Google search bar tell me now. And anyone who would just like to post a "you made the right choice" please tell me now.

Help a yound head fier move along the path of audio bliss!
eggosmile.gif

Good times

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 34
wow, your parents are willing to buy you a $1100 present? that's amazing.

i'd like to actually help you out, but the only DAC i've ever heard is the mhdtLab Dialogue II.. it does sound pretty great, though
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 34
Let's put it this way. If you buy the Apogee to go to your HF-1, and we drop some Age Potion on you and age you 30 years, you'll still have a rig that's the envy of codgers 20 years your senior.

As it is, you'll have gentlemen half a century older than you are right now ready to bonk you on the head for hesitating on such an amazing combo
icon10.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 34
lol, i guess people agree with the Apogee. You know i just really really want to make sure this is the right one. I dont really want to see some amazing DAC come out in like 2 months that destroys the Apogee, you know? I dont have a job or anything else that could support me trying out 5 different DAC's and choosing the one i like, while still being able to purchase a new one that comes out a month later (i want a super nice paying job one day...fyi).

Well, i guess asmox. I mean, thats like the price of a computer. And kids ask for computers all the time.......sure theoretically a DAC cant do as much, but its in a silver aluminum box, it has led's, it has buttons, and cables to plug into the back........that could pass as a pc to the unknowing
rolleyes.gif
. Also, do you have a link for the DAC you mentioned? USB?

Thanks for the help guys........oh, so i am getting the feeling the headphone out isnt too bad
eggosmile.gif
??

oh, lol asmox, i forgot to mention my dad sort of has a weak spot for audio gear. He has his own home theater that he's always looking to upgrade. Even reads AVS like i read this place. Unfortunately he isnt too convinced on the whole headphone thing...maybe after this he will be
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 34
Well here is to expensive toys at an early age. I got started pretty early too, probably your age actually. I'm 25 now and can't stop buying the toys, just read my sig. The Apogee is an amazing DAC. I would say the next step up is the Esoteric or Levinson stuff. You should definitely consider the Benchmark DAC1 as well. There are several USB to SPDI/F outs on the market and it would bring you to a similar price. The Benchmark is a much more technical sounding device. It is absolutely uncolored. The Apogee is more flexible in my opinion and a helluva good sounding product. I have a theory that studio guys love Apogee stuff since their monitors tend to be incredibly flat or have a slight reble boost. The Apogee is widely perceived to have a slight treble roll off. Either way, I'd say you'd be happy with the Apogee for at least 5 years. Even if something came out that "blew it away", it would be a minor difference. Keep in mind that the Levinson No. 30.6 which is one of the DACs cited to be better quality than either the Apogee or Benchmark in several reviews is over 10 years old now. It also costs something like $20k.

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 34
Ya, i thought about the benchmark, but that would mean getting an AV-710 or something for the bit perfect digital out. I mean thats not bad but i sort of like the all in one setup. However, the Apogee coloring the sound sort of scares me just a wee bit. Say i purchase some Beyer's, AKG's, Sony's, or Sennheiser's in a couple of years. Will the sound signature of the Apogee mess those cans up? does that even make sense? As for the Benchmark, would i be able to handle a year or so of it driving my HF-1's directly? Ideally in a year, a tube amp would be in order, and that could even out the harshness/cold tone of the Benchmark, correct?

Nov 27, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 34
I currently use both my Senn HD650 and Grado RS2s with the Apogee. I actually prefer the sound of the Apogee over the Benchmark. Some actually say the Benchmark sounds a bit thin. I think you will be extraordinarily happy with the Apogee. It even makes my pos Bose AM3 computer speakers sound good. It will absolutely blow your mind in terms of imaging and coherency.

Nov 27, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 34
Also, I prefer the headphone amp in the Benchmark. I think a lot of people will disagree with me on that, but I like it's sound better.

Nov 28, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 34
Are there any amps that really really synergize well with the Apogee? that would be the next upgrade down the road. That would be in a really long time though because i am also trying to save up for some computer upgrade next year (M2 socket and all that stuff).
But anywho, it sounds like i would be pretty happy with the apogee directly driving my grado's which is good, but is the benchmark paired with grado so bad of a match? I mean, i do like how people say it is neutral, and how i theoretically would want my headphones to determine the final sound signature. But, i guess because i really do like a more foward and fast paced sound then the Apogee would server me well for many headphone purchases to come. opinions?

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #10 of 34
I find the Benchmark a little too forward for my RS-2s. That being said, I haven't listened overly extensively with that setup yet. I need to buy a headphone extension cord and have been a bit lazy. I think it'll be more important for you to find an amp that works well with your headphones instead of concentrating on the source. I think a tube amp will work the best. I haven't listened to a PPX3 Slam yet, but that is on my short list. I will have a Corda Aria in the near future and I will let you know how that turns out. That will probably sit on my desk near my Apogee. As I said before, I personally feel that the Benchmark is a little thin on the bass.

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 34
wow, i got a thinking again which has once again made me doubt my thoughts on the apogee. Wouldnt it be better to just get a usb > optical trasport (a cheaper one, not the crazy Empirical Audio ones) and then buy a normal dac to go along with it?? wouldnt this provide me with more options in the future for upgrading because i will not always have to rely on usb, plus it opens up my dac choices..........ay yay yay, im back where i started
rolleyes.gif

Good times
eggosmile.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 34
Anyone have info on the stand alone PS Audio DAC coming out? Any info would be great!

Cheers
eggosmile.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 34
If I were you I'd first look into an amp since you do not have one.

Nov 29, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 34
I think you'd miss out on the funs that upgraditis has to offer...

I personally wouldn't want to go straight to the top.
I'd rather take that money, or half of it, and would start building a soundcard and dedicated headphone amp -combo, with all the nice cables and such... That approach would be more fun, IMO. And that way you'd achieve a better understanding of what each of the components bring to the sound.
Life is long. You'll want this hobby to last...
wink.gif

But then again, I've never heard the Apogee DAC.

P.S. How about the USB Porta Corda? A different league, I know, but it'd work as a portable headphone amp too...

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 34
I'd say look into the Meier Corda Aria. It has a usb dac and is supposedly a very very good headphone amp. The amp would be a high enough quality that you shouldn't have to look for something "better" for a long long time. The DAC on the other hand sounds like it will compete with most soundcards but nothing in the stand alone DAC market.

$400 for the Aria, keep the other $700 and save up for the DAC of your choice. That's what I would do personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back