A single-sided IEM project
Jan 20, 2023 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pcpartlicker

New Head-Fier
Long story short, I’m 25M and married to a woman with one sided deafness. She’s cried to me about only remembering stereo sound once. She likes her Skullcandy Crushers for the most part, but she really needs a CIEM.

I need assistance finding or building a VERY nice, universally small, single sided IEM or CIEM. I could double up the driver count in one ear and wire it in stereo in one side, but it wouldn’t be small after that. Or, we could just wire it up mono, if sound quality won’t suffer too hard. I don’t have her left side impression but she has an audiologist already.

My only drivers on hand:
Shure SE215 dynamic 6mm x4
1More Triple BA
Sony MDRXB90EX 16mm x2

I want to use the MDR XB90EX 16mm for her with a crossover for highs. 2-pin > MMCX.

It’s going to be hard, but I do computers, math, or engineering for fun sometimes too.

What are your thoughts? Have some relevant threads to throw at me?

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 2
I've been looking into a mono IEM solution as well, maybe for work environments. I don't pretend to have a total grasp on the issue.
Sennheiser IE100, 400 and 500's all share the same cable type, and Sennheiser sells a mono cable, 3.5mm to their MMCX plug. Sweetwater sells that cable, $50.
The other consideration is USB Audio Player Pro, $8, is a cheap App for Android phones. It has an option for a mono output, as well as EQ. Maybe that is a way to do a trial, send a mono signal to each ear? I guess any EQ change would be in both ears, not the best in her case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back