a simple question about Omega2
Jan 29, 2008 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

brat

500+ Head-Fier
Do you like Omega 2 for acoustics?

What should I expect compared to my k701/Prehead combo?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 37
I guess it depends on the amplifier, but the O2 is generally more laid back. The highs and upper midrange has a silky smooth characteristic. The bass will be much more prominent and each instrument is rendered with greater accuracy. The ambiance of the recording is also more easily perceived, giving a greater illusion of a live performance.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it depends on the amplifier, but the O2 is generally more laid back.

I'm thinking about 727II

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 37
Dark, extremely dark compared to a K701. Too dark for my personal taste. I've heard rumours that this can be cured by special precious non-Stax amps though.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 37
Simple answer -> Yesm I sure do!
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dark, extremely dark compared to a K701. Too dark for my personal taste. I've heard rumours that this can be cured by special precious non-Stax amps though.

Really?
<---Pulls out K701s and 02s.
The k701 seems to be a bit peaky in the upper mid range/lower treble. Wouldn't call them bright though. Leaves the rest of the mid range sounding cold. The 02s on the other hand seem to be much more balanced with a much better mid range and lower end. Really no contest.

Edited

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 37
I think we need to define the description "dark" here. We've obviously got different ones... Your description of the K701, naamanf, is of a bright sound. I would call a headphone with peaky upper midrange/lower treble bright.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 37
The K701 is bright compared to the O2 and the O2 is dark compared to the K701, regardless of which one is the more natural-sounding one. I've never heard the O2 from a KGBH, so it might not be as recessed as when I heard it on a 717.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-007 isn't dark but with insufficient power and incorrect fit it can sound bass heavy and sluggish.

Unfortunately most of us don't have a chance to listen to the O2 with a proper amp. Anyhow, I recall Elephas saying that his O2 is darker than the Senn electrostats despite being amped by an Aristaeus and KGSS.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 37
I'm gettind more and more confused... I ask myself WHY the makers of the finest headphones for the past 20 years can NOT build a decend amp for them.
confused.gif

There's something wrong with STAX LTD. or with the prevailing concepts for "high definition" here...
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gettind more and more confused... I ask myself WHY the makers of the finest headphones for the past 20 years can NOT build a decend amp for them.
confused.gif

There's something wrong with STAX LTD. or with the prevailing concepts for "high definition" here...
wink.gif

Sadly the STAX company that "really" cared about building quality amplification went bankrupt in 1995.
The new (current) Stax company care more about revenue than the previous one, and hence did not take up the SRM-T2 etc. lead.

Sad, but true!

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly the STAX company that "really" cared about building quality amplification went bankrupt in 1995.
The new (current) Stax company care more about revenue than the previous one, and hence did not take up the SRM-T2 etc. lead.

Sad, but true!

I would rather say that they don't want to go bankrupt like former Stax. It's easy for some third party to make an amp for 2k$ but that would end up at 4-6k$ for Stax. The 007t is good enough for most.

Btw. Stax has been making the finest headphones for 48 years...
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather say that they don't want to go bankrupt like former Stax. It's easy for some third party to make an amp for 2k$ but that would end up at 4-6k$ for Stax. The 007t is good enough for most.

That as well.
Since Stax have a large distribution system, where every link need to make money, the amplifier would end up quite expensive. Especially compared to a small single man company which sell products straight to the end user.

But I am quite sure Stax would sell some anyway. Just because they are easy accessible, and have a reputable brand name to lean on.

Quote:

Btw. Stax has been making the finest headphones for 48 years...
wink.gif

They sure have!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back