A silly question about Grado 325is and the L-cush (bowl) pad
Mar 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

khaine1711

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a pair of 325is for a few days; and they're so uncomfortable that I can't really enjoy how they sound. 

I've noticed there's two ways to wear them - and I wonder which way is the correct one:

1. Your ears inside the bowl pad - my case my ear actually touch the driver
2. Your ears touch the outer circle of the bowl pad - my ear only touches the bowl pad

The second way is more comfortable for me; although the sound is more laid back (distant) than the 1st way. Here's a pic (pardon my crappy paint skill
tongue.gif
)

Also I'm thinking about changing to TTVJ flat pad, any idea if they're more comfortable than the bowl?

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 8
You should try both and see which sounds better.  I find all Grado headphones that I have tried up to the RS-1i terribly uncomfortable and I doubt the owner of Grado wears them for more than 5 minutes at a time.  They are probably the most uncomfortable headphone I have worn to date.

The bowl us supposed to surround your ear canal symmetrically so image 1 is more correct sonically, but if they hurt what are you going to do?

You can try two things that may help:

1.)  Place the headphones lengthwise over a large box of facial tissue.  Leave them there for a week.  This will help alleviate any excess clamping force

2.)  Either install some cloth inside the bowls surrounding the driver covers so the plastic no longer rests directly on your ear or simply buy some of the Comfy pads ( flats ) and perform the quarter mod.

I really think the bowls as well as the flats need to be 40% deeper / thicker to improve the comfort, but Grado would have to do a lot to get me interested again.

As far as on-ear headphones go I highly suggest the V-Moda M80 or beyerdynamic DT1350.  Both are way more comfortable, give better sonic performance, and are sealed so leakage in and out is minimal.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Sadly the more uncomfortable way sounds better (to me)- and the sound I get from that way is what I like about the Grado. The clamping force doesn't bother me much - I've had worse.

I did try to install a piece of smooth cloth on top of the driver; however, that mod sort of filter/leave out some of the treble sparkle I like. Maybe I should try the ttvj/sen 414 flat pad but I fear it may have the same sonic effect of the comfies - no soundstage, kinda devastating on the not-too-impressive-soundstage of grados.

Has anyone here tried the 325is with TTVJ flat pad? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NA Blur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should try both and see which sounds better.  I find all Grado headphones that I have tried up to the RS-1i terribly uncomfortable and I doubt the owner of Grado wears them for more than 5 minutes at a time.  They are probably the most uncomfortable headphone I have worn to date.

The bowl us supposed to surround your ear canal symmetrically so image 1 is more correct sonically, but if they hurt what are you going to do?

You can try two things that may help:

1.)  Place the headphones lengthwise over a large box of facial tissue.  Leave them there for a week.  This will help alleviate any excess clamping force

2.)  Either install some cloth inside the bowls surrounding the driver covers so the plastic no longer rests directly on your ear or simply buy some of the Comfy pads ( flats ) and perform the quarter mod.

I really think the bowls as well as the flats need to be 40% deeper / thicker to improve the comfort, but Grado would have to do a lot to get me interested again.

As far as on-ear headphones go I highly suggest the V-Moda M80 or beyerdynamic DT1350.  Both are way more comfortable, give better sonic performance, and are sealed so leakage in and out is minimal.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Sadly the more uncomfortable way sounds better (to me)- and the sound I get from that way is what I like about the Grado. The clamping force doesn't bother me much - I've had worse.

I did try to install a piece of smooth cloth on top of the driver; however, that mod sort of filter/leave out some of the treble sparkle I like. Maybe I should try the ttvj/sen 414 flat pad but I fear it may have the same sonic effect of the comfies - no soundstage, kinda devastating on the not-too-impressive-soundstage of grados.

Has anyone here tried the 325is with TTVJ flat pad? 

Try the G-Cush if you can.  Much more comfortable and big soundstage but you may not like the change in sound signature.  I likee.  This is on 325i and PS500.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 8
What does the G-cush do to the sound signature on those two phones?

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
What does the G-cush do to the sound signature on those two phones?

It pulls down the mid-range a bit.  Some say that it emphasizes the highs and attenuates the lows but I don't hear that. YMMV.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 8
i'm using headphile c-pads, and the Beyer headband.
my Grado 225i's are now ridiculously comfortable.

some might say that it effects the sound signature,
but the trick is to not compare other pads to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back