A Significant Battery Extension for your IPad, iMod, amplifier ,or any mobile device - The Sparq2 Review
Jan 19, 2011 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

hifimusiclover

100+ Head-Fier
The Sparq2 Review
Thanks to Zagg, has received their Sparq2 last week, with first class mail, very thoughtful.
S8000794.jpg

Here is some unpacking.

S8000800.jpg

Not much inside, the sparq2, and instruction.

S8000803.jpg

Here is comparison, with the Technet 5000mah portable charger.

S8000805.jpg

S8000806.jpg

S8000807.jpg

S8000808.jpg

S8000809.jpg

I have tested the Xtrememac Incharge Portable, but it doesn’t work with ipad at all, and not much capacity as well, returned.

Technet is the smallest, the Xtrememac is a bit bigger than the Technet.

I am not going in anymore details for the xtrememac as it doesn’t really worth mentioning, the only good is that it comes with their own branded apple cable.

Charge
In
It is stated to have at least of 9 hours for the first charge, but it normally only takes 5 hrs for a full charge (4 LED) (1 LED, 25%; 2 LED, 50%; 3LED, 75%; 4 LED, 100%)
Out
One thing should mention is that although there are couple of product that claimed to be able to charge the iPad, but you must use their own cable, you cannot use the original apple cable, this may due to the limit current output. Sparq 2 hasn’t got this problem, you can use whatever cable.

Capacity.
By far, sparq2 is the highest capacity portable charger I have seen on the market, although technet claims it’s 5000, but it’s far less than it stated.
It only gives ard 20 – 30% charge to my ipad.
While the Sparq2 gives a good 60%! This is pretty amazing. Which equivalent of 6 hours extension!
I started charging my ipad at 1:24 with 11%, finished at 4:16 with 71%.
Sparq2 gives my ipod and iphone/ mifi a full charge still with a 4 LED lit; Technet only got 3 LED, only 2 LED after an iphone or Mifi full charge. Although technet claims to be 5000 mah (sparq2 6000 mah), but you can tell the difference here.

Design.
Pros
1. Zagg has got a pretty good design with the ‘all in one idea’ with 2 movable pin
2. 1.It’s pretty much the same size with the regular ipod charger. Good size for home use
3. 2. 2 USB, with standard output , and high output for iPad
4. You can charge another 2 component via the USB while charging the Sparq 2 itself
5. 3. Light weight
Cons.
1. 1. 2 pin instead of 3, it wasnt designed for UK user, and hasn’t come with any adaptor, that means you will have to buy your own.
2. 2. Since it’s 2 pin, it can sometimes quite wobbly when plug in the socket
3. 3. No On/Off button, the only button is the indicator button. I presume the charger is always in a ‘on’ state. It may perhaps explain why the battery keeps draining away.
4. 4. Glossy black finish? Finger print monster!

The Size is quite controversial, it’s always better when smaller (well, I mean portable item), personally, the size is good for a high capacity battery or for long haul journey, but if you r saying a daily basis, it may not be something you will want to carry every day, but well it may well worth sacrificing the size for its capacity.

Most Importantly, the discharge problem.
As you may heard of the discharge problem from the sparq1.
I did some testing, well, it improved, but disappointingly, it still exsist.
Monday 10:56 Full charged, 4 LED
Tues 4:38 3 LED
Friday, 9:53 wobbly 3LED
Friday 1315 2 LED
Tue 16:09 2 LED

The first drop is quite scary, loss in 25% in 1 day only. Luckily, the next 25% drop last for a week. Sparq2 is meant to be an ‘emergency chager’ which means you don’t know when you are going to need it. With this discharge rate, Sparq2 may not be very reliable. Luckily, the high capacity in Sparq2 is unquestionable; it can still give some good charge to your igadget or headfi gadget.

Conlusion
If you are a heavy user on your ipad, iMod, amplifier or any mobile device, or always having long journey. Sparq2 is definitely the best solution you got in the market with a good balance of size and weight. But you just have to remember to give it a regular charge just in case you need it suddenly when you realize you forgot to charge your iphone or ipad.
Or you may use it as a home charge, it charge 2 usb at the same time through its internal battery first, then it will start charging its internal battery.
$99? A bit overpriced, but Zagg always got 50% off promotion, by then, it surely is a bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back