a Side of the Road Find.
Feb 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

will9998

New Head-Fier
On my normal stroll home from work, i happened to stumble upon what i thought was just but under closer inspection, it was the exact opposite.

in heap next to the road, ready to be collected by the garbage men, i found...

-Luxman Pd-284 Turntable
-Luxman L-230 Amplifier
-Luxman Cassette Player
-Scott Tuner
-Two Interdyn Speakers

and what was most intriguing

- Two pairs of STAX SR30 electret earphones, and two STAX SRD-4 transformers...

The lot of them were all pretty dusty, but overall, good condition.

After lugging them all home, connecting them up and chucking on David Bowie's "Changes" all was working, and sounding great.

What i am most interested abour is that the receipts were discarded with them, and the total set up was worth, in 1983, over $2200. Was that expensive??

What in terms of quality are these bits and pieces, in there hay day and today? and how much are they worth now, just for interest....

I think i'm going to keep them all, the set up is quite quant, and i enjoy the aesthetics...

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 13
Cool find. $2200 sounds fairly expensive in today's dollars. I looked up a quick inflation calculator online and that works out to be close to 5k adjusted to 2010 dollars, so it's a pretty good stash. I am not familiar with any of that equipment, so maybe someone else can comment on whether the equipment is decent or not.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 13
Yeah, thanks, i didn't even know of the inflation calculator, i just used it for Australian dollars and it came close to 6 thousand? I really just want to know about the individual components, just some history...

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 13
The SR-30 are electrets and are not as good as the full electrostatic Stax.   That doesn't mean they're bad.  They're a pretty good introduction to the stat sound.

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 13
right place at the right time! 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back